Instrument displays

Previous topic - Next topic

agbenoit

Hi folks,

I spent the afternoon under the tarp on Helen C trying to figure out how I am going to mount the control head for a new Autohelm 4000 Mk II and a Garmin 182.  I have a small radar on an arm to the starboard of the pedestal guard, and the GPS will probably fit on top of that.  The old autopilot needed service at best.  Its control box was mounted under the engine instrument panel, by the helmsman's left foot.

Currently I have three Datamarine displays in three separate Edson pods (the ones that look like dorade vents) on three different arms off the pedestal guard.  The positioning isn't great, and its not obvious where the AH 4000 will go.  I might be able to juggle the existing pods and add a fifth arm to the guard.

I thought about putting all four displays in a NavPod.  But, the Datamarine units are 5 inches diameter and need almost 5 inches of depth.  The four across NavPod unit has only 3-1/2 inches of depth and barely 5 inches of height.  I might be able to fit the four displays in a larger "chartplotter" housing.  But, I would still have to replace my old 52" straight pedestal guard with a taller angled guard.

I thought about updating to ST60 instruments, replacing the depth, speed and wind with a Tridata and a wind.  That would solve the NavPod problem and would allow me to run fewer wires (all powered off the autopilot).  It would clean up the instrument view.  I'd still need a new pedestal guard. And, I'm pretty sure I would need to install three new transducers.  The mast is up, so a new wind transducer and cable would require climbing.  

Has anyone installed a wind transducer on a keel-stepped mast that was up?  Any other suggestions?

Thanks for reading my musings.

Tony Benoit
#903 '89

Mike Smith

Tony -

Replacing all of your instruments, and their mounts, and the pedestal guard will be very expensive, as you already know. Instead of doing it piecemeal, why don't you consider making a technological jump ahead of all the rest of us and go with the new wireless instrument set from TacTic? The investment would be about the same. Here is a recent thread from this board discussing this option.

Wireless Instruments

This is clearly the way to go in the future, and we could all learn from your experiences.

Just my opinion, others may disagree,
Mike

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer WCX8545
www.mikejansmith.com

Mark Wey

Mike: I think you are right about the new wireless instruments being the way of the future. They will probably get less expensive as technology advances. The biggest price reduction will come when another manufacturer comes on line. I would imagine Ratheon and others already have something on the drawing board. Should be interesting at the boat shows in about one year.  :)

Mark
Mark Wey
2004 C-36

jentine

You may want to wait until someone else goes through the growing pains of wireless instruments.  I usually install the latest and greatest technology on a regular basis, but wireless everything else are wrought with problems.  In a closed system, one in which there are no external influences or one in which the external influences can be controlled, wireless systems work well.  Add an external influence of your boating neighbors and all bets are off.
You can barely control external influences with wired systems by using filters, coaxial cable, and other known methods.  How can you control the influences from other outputs.  Different freqencies don't always help.
Jim Kane

agbenoit

I glanced at the TackTick Micronet system in the Layline catalog when it arrived, but didn't look close.  Mike's post got me thinking.  There's an extensive brochure at http://www.tacktick.com/tacktick.pdf

I'm definitely intrigued, though not sure I want to spend the money.

A cheaper solution than new instruments seems to me to remount my existing Datamarine displays over the companionway.  There was a Mainsheet note about this, but it didn't give any details.  I still haven't found any premade pods that will fit the Datamarine displays, which are nearly 5" deep.

I'm thinking of building a box out of Starboard, mounting a stainless handrail over the forward end of the companionway, and clamping the box to the rail.

Has anyone worked with Starboard?

Tony Benoit
Helen C
#903 '89

rirvine

I have used Starboard to make a housing for Raymarine instruments over the companionway of Crew’s Nest.  I found Starboard easy to work with using normal wood working tools. I mounted the instruments at the forward end of the companionway with two speakers and 5 Raymarine ST60 displays.  You should shop around for the Starboard.  I found TAP plastic to have the best prices but not all stores carry it.

Ray

tsoko

Tony,
A buddy of mine did the same as Ray.  An arched Starboard box mounted forward over the companionway. No need for any stainless rails.  He copied the idea from a Tartan 3700 in our marina.  Came out beautful.  Easy to see and out of the way.  One suggestion: use cheap plywood for Rev1, Rev2, etc.  Once you get the design, angles etc the way you want, you can make the final copy with Starboard.

agbenoit

Ray and Tom,

How is the cluster attached to the boat?  I don't suppose either of you have a photo.  Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement.

Tony Benoit
Helen C
#903 '89

rirvine

Tony:

My housing is attached at the very forward end of the hatch.  It is held in place by two screws on each side.  On my boat, there was already one screw on each side that held the hatch sliding cover on.  I replaced those screws with longer screws and add one on each side for good measure. I will get some pictures next time I am at my boat â€" about 2 weeks away.    This is not a major project the hardest part is getting the instrument and power wires routed so they are not in the way.

Ray

agbenoit

Thanks, Ray.  I look forward to seeing the photos.

Tony

rirvine

Tony:

Attached is one picture. I also have detailed pictures of the port and starboard end that I could e-mail you if you send an address.

Ray

agbenoit

Hi Ray,

That looks like a very tidy installation.  You set a high standard for me to meet!

My email address is agbenoit@cox.net.

Thanks,

Tony