Replacing Masthead Sheeve

Previous topic - Next topic

David Sanner

Has anyone done this?

Can I replace the sheeve for the main aloft or do I have to "pull the stick?"

thanks, David  (1988 #611)
David Sanner, #611 1988, "Queimada" San Francisco Bay

Mark Wey

David: I did this last year while the mast was down. Not a hard job, but impossible to do with the stick up. Consider replacing at least two of the sheaves. Also other mast maintance can be easily accomplished while the mast is horizontal.

Mark
Mark Wey
2004 C-36

Howard Armstrong

This may be a good time to ask this, has anyone replaced the radio coax with pulling the mast?

David Sanner

How about removing the upper stays and removing the masthead without pulling the mast?  No...

Sounds like I may have to put my sheeve replacement a bit further down on my list.

Thanks

David Sanner

Update: After getting to the masthead and seeing that the sheave seemed to be ok, at least not frozen or worn unevenly I decided to go with a smaller halyard.  (and lots of sail kote)

I went with a hi-tech 3/8" line (that cost me far too much money) but it made a huge improvement.

I can pretty much pull the sail up then entire way without using the winch. (though it does require my sailing gloves for the last 1/4).

Maybe one day when I pull the mast or get a half crazed yard crane operator to dangle me above the mast I'll replace the sheave.  Until then I'm happy to get a little bit of exercise when raising the main.

Thanks all.  

Now it's time to put some stanchion blocks for the jib furling line.

-d

ps. I think the 7/16 halyard that was on the boat had swollen a bit compounding the fact that it was already oversized.