Walk through transom on C34 Mk I

Previous topic - Next topic

reedbr

Does anybody know what hull number they started walk-through transoms in 1989 or 1990 C34's?  Whas it an option for a couple years or a straight production change?

Any insight is appreciated.  Thanks.
Brian Reed
1997 C34 mkII "Ambitious"
St. Mary's River, MD

Stu Jackson

The History section of this website includes:  

"1989: Open transom model introduced  
In 1990-91 the hull incorporated a walk-through transom and a Universal M35 (30 HP). Gradually, many changes were incorporated that were later to characterize the Mark II: for example, the walk-through transom was added on 11/30/89"

I know of hull 1101 on Vancouver Island in Canada, and 1152 here on San Francisco Bay.

As far as I know, it was not an option but a production modification.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

sselinger

I have hull 1047, a 1990 with the walk thru transom and a 25XP engine.

Steve Selinger
Aquila #1047

Stu Jackson

Steve

Very interesting.  I just noticed that #1046 is the one on the brochure that was the first published brochure with the walk through transom.

Thanks for your input.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

dsavary

I ordered my c34 at the Newport RI boat show in Sept. of 1990. I met Frank Butler at this show and he told me if I ordered now the boat will have the new design with a walk thru transom as standard, no option, However, the M35 engine was an option that I added. This was also the first year that CNG was no longer standard and LPG was substituted. My boat was delivered one week before Xmas and was listed as a 1991 model. the hull number is 1138.

Doug  "Shana"  #1138

jbstack28

Just for further information I have #1029 with the walk thru and the 25xp.  Hope this helps.

Charlie Stackpole
'DESPIDO'
1990  #1029

DEMERY

Hull 988, Model Year 1990, Year Built 1989

No Walk-Thru transom.

M35A Was an option.

Kyle Ewing

I very recently purchased a 1990 C34 (hull #1010).  It has the swim platform molded into the transom but isn't a walk through.  My local dealer told me only 10-20 were built this way and it was a transition to the walk through transom.

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Chicago
Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

butlers

Our recently purchased 1990 C34, hull number 1023, has a small swim platform (dimple), but no walk through transom. The center stern rail acts as a boarding ladder and lowers quite a way into the water so that stern access, both onto the dimple and from the water, is good. Do wish we had the open transome, but this arrangement does allow for more storage and the price was right.  The original owner ordered the boat off of a Catalina order form, dated 7/30/89, but took delivery in 9/90.  The boat also has a M25 engine.  Hope this helps the history buffs.

karista

I have hull 1012, it is a 1990 model and has the molded in platform. This configuration is preferable to me, than the small walk-thru version. It provides more rigidity for the rigging, more storage space and easy access to the cockpit.

Jim "SV Ohana"

We have hull 1149 a 1991 mark 1 model with the walkthrough and the 25xp 3cyl motor.

Jim Price

Ours is #1119 / 1991 with walk-thru and 25XP.  I am more amazed at the different engines offered before our number and after our number.  Looks like 25XP, M35, M35A may have been installed at random depending on what was avaialable as boats went down the line.   :confused:  :confused:
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Stu Jackson

I guess that there are strange things that go on amidst any assembly line.

My understanding is that Catalina offered a larger number of options in the earlier days of C34 production than may be available now.

These days the options are more electronic than Hull / engine.

"Way back then" there WERE really options, like the size of engines and hull configurations.

Maybe because there weren't any other options (hey, kid, wanna lead line or an RDF?).

The boats were designed, the systems improved, were accepted, improved over time, and then became standard.  

Anybody remember when you had a choice of engines on your car?  Now it's only interior trim choices.  Same stuff with boats.

Glad to know our M25, with a clean hull, goes 7.0 on flat seas with a new 3 inch HX at 160F - all day long.  And I bet the folks with M35XPs love theirs, too.

Not a bad almost-20 year run, however they managed to do it!

:)

Stu