Folding prop

Previous topic - Next topic

kntclark

Has anyone used a folding prop on a C34?  We have lots of crab traps here in Southwest Florida and we've had several snag on the prop.  We hooked one the other night around midnight and dragged it for 6 hours until daylight before we could get rid of it.  I don't think a feathering prop or an Autoprop would help, but a folding prop shouldn't snag a trap as easily.  I know they aren't supposed to be as good in reverse as a fixed or feathering prop, but just how bad is a folding prop in reverse on a C34?

Terry Clark
Yet To Be, #1095
Punta Gorda, FL

BMHoch

I have a Martec folding prop and have never had any problem in reverse at all.  No sailboat likes to back up, but I have put Vanishing Point in many slips stern-first.
Bruce Hoch

Admin

I've had a two-bladed MaxiProp for about two years now with no problems.  The boat goes faster under sail, and it's a cinch to back up. There is a small decrease in power under motor, but power is still adequate.

Dave Smith
webmaster@c34.org
Bear Territory #1421

Stu Jackson

Terry
If you use the search engine on the IC34 website homepage and type in "props" you will get 70 hits.  While some of them have to do with prop walk and prop noise, a majority of them have to do with just the question you are asking.  
Best regards, Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jacques

I've used my Martec folding prop for 2 seasons without problems.  Biggest drawback is that thers's a bit more vibration.  Advantage is that the boat sails a lot faster.

I don't spend much time in reverse so I'm willing to give up the reverse performance.  You need to "rev" the engine to get the blades working.  Just takes a little practice.

Good luck.

P.S. I bought mine refurbished from the manufacturer and saved a lot on money.  Martec was very helpful.

frank m. tompa

I use a Flex-O-Fold and it works well .When the wind is lite it works best.