Leaking hatch

Previous topic - Next topic

agbenoit

I was surprised to find water all over the cabin sole today.  When I looked up, there was water around the hatch trim.  It appeared to be coming in between the lens and the hatch frame.  Last fall, the surveyor and I noticed that there is a crack in the hatch lens covered with tape.  The crack actually seemed dry.

I have rebedded hatch lenses before (not on a C34).  This hatch, in the coach roof, has the dogs right in the lens.  I suppose I could drill two holes the new lens and replace the dogs.  Has anyone done this?  

I read Replacing the Overhead Hatch Lens in Projects (http://www.c34.org/projects/projects-hatch-lens.html), which gave me the impression that the lens is purchased predrilled.  Does anyone know the supplier?

I would guess that the cost of a new piece of acrylic or lexan would approach the cost of the hatch.  I'll bet that Bomar doesn't make this size anymore, though.

Thanks,

Tony Benoit
Helen C
#903 '89

[This message was edited by Tony B on March 06, 2004 at 11:29 PM.]

[This message was edited by Tony B on March 06, 2004 at 11:30 PM.]

[This message was edited by Tony B on March 06, 2004 at 11:30 PM.]

tandm

Had a similar problem with the forward hatch. The lens was cracked and it was leaking between the frame and the lens. As it turned out the lens had separated ever so slightly from the glazing. I put a little silicon at the point of separation as a temporary fix and purchased a new lens from Bomar. Bomar does not maintain the product numbers in their database for older products so you may need to provide them with the outside height and width of the deck flange. The cost is considerably less than a new hatch.  If I remember correctly the lens was somewhere around $100.00 vs. a new Bomar front hatch which is somewhere between $400.00 and $600.00.  You will also need to get a tube of glazing.  I used GE UltraGlaze SSG4000 which is what Bomar uses.  You can get it from Bomar, if you can't find it locally.  The lens comes with removal and installation instructions.

As an alternative you can always take your old lens to a plastics shop and have a new one cut for you or cut one yourself.  I am sure it is much less than purchasing from Bomar.

td

[This message was edited by TD "Peregrine" 1988 #543 on March 07, 2004 at 08:46 AM.]

[This message was edited by TD "Peregrine" 1988 #543 on March 07, 2004 at 09:12 AM.]

saltydog

Bomar now owned by http://www.pompanette.com/pompweb.nsf/?OpenDatabase. I also ordered replacement lens, pre-drilled with sealant. Came with very detailed instructions. Easy to do.
Jeff

agbenoit

I ordered a new lens, gasket and sealant from Bomar today.  Thanks for all the info.

Tony Benoit
Helen C
#903 '89