bilge substrate

Previous topic - Next topic

agbenoit

Hi,

I am replacing my electric bilge pump.  The old one sits on a plate that is attached to the bottom of the bilge by four screws.  Does anyone know what material they are screwed into?  Should I bed the new screws and plug the old holes when I install the new pump?  It doesn't look like the old screws were bedded.

Thanks,

Tony

Tony Benoit
#903 '89

Ray & Sandy Erps

Pretty sure it's fiberglass and plastic resin down there in the bilge, probably over an inch thick.  If you're shy about drilling holes into the bottom of the boat can you use some of the old holes or wire tie your bilge pump to the keel studs?  I wouldn't bother using bedding compound because I don't think it's necessary unless you're working on an area that has a wood core where you're trying to keep the water out of the core material.  My two cents worth.
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

Brad Colon

I just replaced my bilge pump last summer.
Naturally the new pump would not fit onto the old base. But I still filled the old holes with epoxy. I just don't like the thought of holes in the bilge. In the fall I did remember to remove the pump from the base when the boat was pulled out. I put the pump up so it would not sit in antifreeze all winter long. I believe that may have hastened the demise of the old pump. The original pump lasted 9 years.
Just a note, while I was in the store deciding on a new pump because the original manufacturer had been bought out, there was an owner from a Catalina 36, same year as mine, who was also looking for a new bilge pump.
His boat had the same size pump as the Catalina 34.
By the way I did seal the new screw holes just out of habit.
I was impressed with the way Catalina sealed the in line fuse and connections so they would not draw moisture or short out in the event the bilge flooded.
1994 CAPTIVATED # 1285

agbenoit

Thanks for the help.  My new pump is installed, working and apparently secure.  The hardest part was getting the pilot holes big enough.  I sheared off two screw heads in holes that were too small.  I put tape on my drill bits to mark the depth.  There was no indication that I was drilling anything but solid glass.

Tony Benoit
#903 '89