water heater/winddirection trans.

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim "SV Ohana"

Being new to engine heated/electrical boat water heaters, the electrical side of it heats up rather quickly, but the engine side seams to take quite a while, is this normal??

My wind direction transducer has slowed to a crawl, seams to be intact (viewed with binocs) but moves grudgingly, not the happy flapping around that it used to do.  Anysuggestions before another trip up the mast??

Jim

Stu Jackson

Water Heater

Yes, Jim, the electric heats up very fastm usually in 15-20 minutes.  It's a  1500 watt heater for six little gallons!  The output water temperature from your engine is between 160 and 180 (as long as it's not overheating), so it takes (lots) longer.

Good luck with the windo.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Steve Ormond

Check for spider webs fouling the transducer.  I've had some strong ones keep the Windex from functioning in light wind after a period of relative inactivity.

DavidComando

Jim, My apparrent wind direction instrument was "taken out" by a seagull last season. If you do a trip up the mast let me know how the paddle is installed. Is it a snap on, allen key, bubble gum???
Dave

Jim "SV Ohana"

Dave,
Still haven't gotten up the mast yet, but what I do know is the wand is attached with a screw on elec. connector (cap over connector type of arrangement) and the wind vang is a snap on thing.  I'll be bringing the whole wand down when I figure how to get up there. Still looking for a MastMate or Capt. Al mast ladder??? Anyboday???Winch grinders with the abililty (safley)to get me up the mast are few and hard to come by around here.
Jim

Howard Armstrong

I go up my mast with a four part pulley system. i got the pulleys from Garhauler for about 70 dollars, and use a climbing harness but a chair will do. My wife can tail the line from below but i have control of how fast i go up and down.

DavidComando

It seems the wives are a popular way to get up the mast. Debbie winched me half way up (with a second halyard as a backup) to repair the lazy-jacks. I was glad to be only half way as we were on a mooring and things were starting to rock and roll. I agree that Howard's 4-1 pully is a better way to go. My wife inquired about my life insurance while I was up on the mast...

Stu Jackson

MAST CLIMBING

Try Page 42 of the Nov. 2004 Mainsheet magazine, C310 Assoc. Info.  Reference is to www.onrope1.com  (Mitchell System #F70)

Also, try this discussion list:

http://archive.sailboatowners.com/archive/archresults.tpl?ssite=CO&fno=20&start=1&requiredfields=keyword&keyword=ATN&model=none&forum=none&pr=p%2Cr&_ptitle=ptitle+rtitle&andor=wo&year6=2004&srt=pdate

I use a chair and a four part tackle I made up myself with fiddle blocks and 170 feet of line.  Slow, but it works.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Jim Price

I am sure I spent too much money but I use the ATN Climber rig.  I am not overly comfortable at hights but found with this rig, I feel totally confident and don't mind going to the top.  Takes a little trial and error to figure out the best method for climbing and decending but I don't care if the boat is rockin' and rollin' when I am on top.  Also, I got this because most of my climbs are when I am alone but I always carry my WHAM (Polaris) up the stick and I do sometimes call up a buddy in the marina to bring something by to avoid going back down.  Also great if something really goes wrong.  I am 58 and 40+ foot falls are not on my schedule.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Ed Shankle

Jim,
Can you tell me more about the ATN Climber Rig? I'm looking for something to get me up the mast besides my wife cranking me up on a halyard.

thanks,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Stu Jackson

ATN Climbers

Ed

A Google search on ATN gale sail found their home page.  Happy reading:

http://www.atninc.com/

Stu

ajvh

Question for Howard and Stu,

what size blocks, what size line and how do you attach and how you lock your 4 part tackle.
Do you attach the tackle to a halyard, raise it to the top of the mast and then pull yourself up?

I just got the Defender Catalog and there is an ATN topclimber for $280

Jim "SV Ohana"

I went ahead and changed out the filter. 27.99 is cheap piece of mind I guess.
thanks for all the replys
Jim

Howard Armstrong

i use 7/16 line and tackle. that is bacause i already had enough line and didnt have to buy more. Smaller line would do but to me is harder to hold on to when pulling yourself up. i attach the top block to a haylard and pull it up and as i pull myself up my wife tailes the end around the haylard winches. i have two detachable mast step i plan to install to give me something to stand on at the top of the mast. these were left over from a friend and not nessary but will be nice.i dont have to go up often but when i do it is nice to feel safe.