moisture in deck

Previous topic - Next topic

paul bousquet

paul.bousquet@videotron.ca
Just purchase c34 1989 #984. Survey reported high moisture level in port and starboard decks near chainplates and stanchions. Has anyone encounter this problem and what did they do to get rid of the moisture. I know I will need to rebed but need to dry out areas first

Stu Jackson

Chainplates

Paul

Congratulations on your new boat.  All the best.

Start here:

http://c34.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=srch&s=329609511&findw=chainplates

This will take you to one of those subjects on that Find list under "chainplates":

http://c34.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=329609511&f=829605811&m=235600911

That's one of the better hits.

You should have no problem finding out how to do what you will need to do by reading those references.

Welcome aboard,

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

paul bousquet

Stu, thanks for the reply. The reference only talk about rebedding which I will use, but I was concerned about getting rid of the moisture before rebedding. How about a shop vac and try to suck it dry ???
Are the decks all plywood reinforced or is there also balsa?
Paul Bousquet

RV61

Paul,
CONGRATS!! I had the wet decks according to the readings around the chain plates and stanchains on both sides along ther cabin top when I had the boat surveyed last year when I bought. I first needed to find the entry of the water as I thought it was the chain plates and stachions however found it was leaky ports that were causing much of the problem. In order to dry I stored the boat inside out of the elements and pulled ports, chainplates, and stanchions and let the boat sit and air dry. Since I cannot sail in Ohio in winter, time was not an issue. The moisture readings dropped considerably between oct and Nov.and I am hoping they come down some more before rebedding this spring. I will be rebedding per the links from Stu above as well as epoxying around the port cutouts before they go back in so again when they leak again the water will not end back up in the deck. I will know next month wether I experianced any minor delamination that would require some epoxy injection. I have also pulled the rest of the hardware and rails to rebed as I do not think the POs ever rebed and the boat is an 1986.
I do not know of a faster way to dryout than stay dry and air dry.
The best money I have spent on the boat was joining the Catalina 34 Assoc. The people on this board as well as the tech notes on the disc
are the best.

Rick

Rick

Andrew Harvey

Paul
Seems to be common problem on earlier models. My starboard deck was delaminated along a 6' section. Ended up getting a very expensive boatyard repair. The plywood core had actually turned to mush. My surveyor did not recognize the extent of the problem.
Andrew
Andrew Harvey