C 34 1986 vs 1987,88,89

Previous topic - Next topic

Richie

I am looking at buying a 1986-1989 Catalina. Does anyone know the prefferred rig...deck step 1986 or keel step on the later models. Also, I really do not like the fiberglass forward hatch, and would love to know how to replace it if I purchase an '86

Thanks

Richie

Gene Regan

Richie,

Have 1988 boat , bought 1.5 yrs ago, love it and so does the captain. Keel stepped mast solves deck compression issues but has its own inherent problems ie: rain water comes in the halyard openings to the bilge.Then theres what to do about that big hunk of aluminum in the cabin,( covered mine with vinyl looks great)and mast boot issues at deck level.
   Having had both deck and keel stepped masts I'll stick with tem keel stepped , I dont like having to deal with deck compression issues from an improperly stepped mast.
    Your hatch can be replaced with another, check this massive site for others who have done it. Also use the FAQ section on the site about what to look for when buying one of these great boats .
   Dont forget to join yhe assoc as being a member lets you access certain tech notes on oll the model years. Its worth the $$$ .

Gene Regan

Drink up, me'earties, yo ho

Stu Jackson

Richie

Asked and answered.

Start here and follow the trail:

http://c34.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=329609511&f=829605811&m=692602765

The FIND button is really helpful.

Good luck on your search, but a C34 in ANY configuration is a wonderful boat.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."