Collapsing Hatch

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

I have a 2000 C34, hull number 1484.  I am having a problem with the starboard cockpit seat.  The aft corner of the hinged fiberglass cover over the aft cabin hatch colapses when I sit on it or step on it.  The corner drops down about 2 inches.  The screws holding the hinges are tight.  The cover is centered in the opening.  I have contacted the dealer that sold me the boat.  He has never heard of this before but is looking into it.  I have owned the boat for 13 months so I am not sure if the warrenty will still apply.  Has anybody else had this problem?  How did you fix it?  Any ideas welcome.

Thanks

[This message was edited by Bill on May 22, 2001 at 11:46 PM.]

Roc

Bill,
Was down on my boat last night and looked at the cockpit seat hinged cover that's over the aft cabin hatch.  I tried to envision how yours can be not attached.  You say that the screws are tight.  Check the 3 screws on the cover, underneath they should have nylon bolts.  Maybe your screws are missing the bolts and just appear tight because you can't turn the screws.  The other possibility is maybe the pin in the hinge is missing.  This would make the plates securely attached to the boat, but no real hinge to keep the two parts together.  Take a look closely, I'm curious if the bolts, or the pin is missing.

Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Bill

I guess I was not real clear on what part of the fiberglass cover that is collapsing.  It is not the hinged end - it is the end that raises up.  The aft corner that is closest to the center line of the boat drops about 2 inches when I sit or step on it.  The hinge pins are in place and the screws or bolts that hold the hinges to the cover and to the boat are tight.  It appears that the cover flexes enough to allow it to drop off the ledge that should support it.

I called the Catalina dealer that sold me the boat earlier this week.  He called me back today.  He told me that he has seen this problem before and the fix is to screw a block of wood or plastic to the side of the opening so that the cover can rest on both the new block and the ledge that it should rest on.  This would make the moulded in ledge wider.  This fix would prevent the aft cabin hatch from opening fully because it would hit the block.  It seams wrong to have to use a block to solve the problem - it should work as designed.

Bill Jenks
2000  #1484
Unzipped

Roc

Bill,
Now I understand what is falling.  In the closed position, is the hatch resting securely on the ledge??  Or maybe the factory trimmed that corner a bit too high causing a gap??  Another possibility, is the hatch centered AND square within the opening?  Putting the block of wood which gets in the way of the aft hatch opening should be against ABYC. That aft hatch is actually an escape hatch for the aft cabin (my understanding is that all boats now are to have such an escape).  

Roc-

Bill

When the hatch is closed it is resting on the ledge.  It is centered and square in the opening.  The hinge fasteners are tight.  The only thing that I can see is that the ledge on the aft side of the opening is not perfectly level.  It angles down just a bit.  I am reluctant to grind it flat because then the hatch would not be flush with the rest of the seat.
I agree with you - I do not want to put a block of wood or do anything that would restrict the aft cabin hatch from opening.

Bill Jenks
2000  #1484
Unzipped

Roc

Bill,
From what you are explaining, it seems when the hinged seat is flat (down position), there is a gap on the aft side, probably in the corner that you say collapses when you put weight on it.  Maybe this is a combination of the ledge angling down a bit, AND the seat contact area is too high, resulting is a large gap (i.e. too much of the seat flange trimmed off by the factory).  In that case, how about adding material to the seat(not on the ledge it is resting on).  Build up the vertical side of the seat so they come in complete contact.

Roc-