National Regatta Ideas

Previous topic - Next topic

beang

I know that we want this bulletin board to be primarily technical in nature, but I would like to solicit ideas and inputs regarding our National Regatta.  Currently, our by-laws our written broad enough that we have a large amount of latitude in running the regatta.   So, I think that we can be creative if we want to.  I would like skippers who are not already served by a large fleet have a crack at the trophy.  When Fleet One runs it, it is a very traditional regatta, but does it need to be run that way in all venues?  The C380 folks do a one or two race affair with an extremely informal start and finish.  What if we teamed up with either the C320, C36 or C350 folks and run a joint regatta?  (Of course, we would have our own starts and race for our own trophies.)   That way we could race in a venue that is not necessarily covered by an active fleet.  How about working out some sort of agreement with an All-Catalina fleet like the one in Los Angles?  Or how about being a part of an existing YC’s regatta weekend?  Let’s brainstorm and see if we can come up some creative ideas.

sail4dale

I belong to the "All Catalina Fleet 24" in LA and am interested in such a regatta.  We at CBYC in San Pedro have hosted many nationals in the past including Cat 30.  I can say that with the proper lead time for scheduling, CBYC would do a great job on running the event.  We do have wind and a great spot to sail.  Afterward those who wish can spend some time in Catalina.  (We're the closest marina to Catalina).  CBYC owns a dry storage yard, launching cranes for boats up to 3 ton and 200 slips.  With that we are able to accommodate a major size fleet.

S/C Dale Thompson CBYC   sail4dale@sbcglobal.net