V Berth Insert

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

One of the first things we did when we got Auqavite was to install stops so that the V berth insert didn't fall out, based on the website's suggestions.

That's in the UP or higher position.

I've recently taken to leaving it in the lower position.  There isn't the same type of 'glass and wood at that lower level to simply install two stops.

Has anybody come up with a simple way to keep the insert from sliding out in the lower position?

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

RV61

Stu,
On the Interlude we used heavy duty velcro on both the upper and lower to hold the v-berth insert. We glued the velcro onto fiberglass and glued and stapled with a staple gun on wood parts and thus far (one season) no problem. I did this after crashing a couple times when using the lower position as a step up.
Rick

Rick

dave davis

Hi Stu, When I was browsing through the PROJECTS section of our site, I ran across the idea of using three little one inch pieces of VELCRO to hold the upper section of the V berth insert. This works great, but I don't know about the lower section. Good Luck, Dave
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

Ted Pounds

Stu,

I got two of those chrome hook and eyes like are used to holding open (or closed) doors.  I attached one of the hooks to the underside of the filler cushion.  Then attached  the eyes to the fiberglass bulkhead at the upper and lower positions so that by hooking the hook into them the  filler is held in place.  One of the eyes needed a small wood stand-off to line up with the other.  I think it was the lower one because the upper one is attached to the drawer frame.  I also added a piece of bungee cord under the filler cushion to make sure the hook stays hooked in the eye.  The other hook I added to my spare junk pile as it was only puchased for the extra eye.  (I couldn't find an extra eye the right size.)   I got the idea from a tech notes article or the old email discussion group or some such; I forget exactly where.  Anyway it's been like that for over 5 years and works great.  By the way, I tried a couple of searches and couldn't find the reference for the idea.  ;)

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

shekinahsailor

We keep our insert in the upper position.  I added oak runners (approx. 8"x1.5"x1") to the original edge runners so that the "footprint" is larger and the insert cannot slip out.  I glued and bolted these runners together and finished with grinding and varnish for appearance, BUT, since they're under the cushion, no one sees anyway..  I also added similar runners directly below the closet door trim on both sides and cut a piece of oak stair board (the stuff they make stairs out of) to fit in between.  This gives us a step up of about 10" elevation which makes climbing into or out of the berth very easy.  It does prohibit closing the door when the step is in place but that's a mute point for us.  These two changes have made a great improvement to the forward berth for our needs.

marshall tonner

On the underside of the v berth filler I installed 2 spring loaded sliding bolts and drilled a corresponding hole in the "shelf".It's worked fine for 2 kids and 14 years!

Mike and Theresa Vaccaro

Stu,

We used two sets of U-bolts, one upper and one lower.  Screwed "pegs" (you could use wooden dowel stock--we simply used nylon tube held in place with screws and a washer).  Allows you to simply lift the cushion and drop it into place.
Haven't had any of the kids fall out of the bunk since we made the mod!

Cheers,

Mike

Gary Wilson

We keep our insert down most of the time, unless the V-berth is being used.  The previous owner of our boat had delt with the issue of securing it, by inserting small (1/8") vertical pins in the center of each bearing ledge (one on each ledge).  He drilled matching holes on the underside of the insert that the pins slip into.  It's a very close tolerance fit so the insert will fit tightly in both locations.  The pins only protrude about 1/4", and they are rounded off, so they have not been a hazard.  It works pretty well.

Stu Jackson

Gary

That's a great idea.  I understand the tolerance issues.  I like the concept of not having any barrel bolts or other connection ideas knocking around making noise in a seaway or a rolly anchorage while the insert is in the UP position, , and haven't been able to find any spring loaded barrel bolts in the marine hardware catalogs (they could be at my local hardware store, I know!).  What is the material of the pins?

Thnaks, Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Ken Juul

Our insert is held in the up position by nylon straps and snap fastners.  The straps are attached to the underside of the insert, the snaps are in the forward corners attached to the underside of the trim.  

This is the first I've heard of the "down" position.  Ours is stored on the matress in the forward area of the Vee.  Not alot of floor room in the forward cabin, I think I would end up tripping over the insert in the down postion.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

Ken

I'd left it in the up position for years, never took it out.  Recently found that it makes a nifty seat in the down position, and also as a knee rest when reaching into the storage area below the V berth.  We have our salon table insert stored above the V berth, but I hadn't thought of simply putting the insert way forward.  The snaps sound like a good (quiet) idea, too.  Thanks,

Stu

Gary Wilson

Stu,

The material of the pins is 1/8" dia. brass brazing rod.

Gary

Randy Stolze

You all have described very effective methods to secure this insert. My method was borne out of desperation the first night the captain and I spent on the boat.
  I grabbed the bimini extension pole and wedged it between the insert and the adjacent drawers bulkhead. This solved the problem for the rest of the trip and has become my "fix" until I finish the other dozen or so more pressing projects.

Regards!

Ran
Randy

Joe Kern

Our insert is the spring mattress type.  Has anyone seen or made a cover that just goes over the insert?  I don't like having the mattress cover exposed on the insert when I use it as a step.  Also, what about the rest of the v-berth mattress?  The fitted sheets don't work to cover the edge when the v-berth insert is not in.

Joe
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Ron Hill

Joe : Since we got a mattress, we let the center piece in and covered with the fitted sheet and blanket/throw. 
I made a new platform out of 1/2" plywood.  Then I covered the plywood with some 1/4" left over finished flooring and installed a teak facing.  It looked spectacular!!  I then found out the flooring was so slippery that I had to cut a piece of anti skid for in between to keep the mattress insert in place on the platform!!!  The platform stays in place with the same door hook that I installed back in 1989.
Every so often I remove the mattress insert just to look at that beautiful floored platform.  Not one of my better ideas!   :roll:
Ron, Apache #788