V Berth Insert

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Glennon

Reading this post, and the various responses, I realize I have apparently been missing something for all the time I have owned SlowDance, #354... what is the "Down" position for the vee birth insert? I have either had it in place, or taken out, and placed along the port or starboard side in the upright position to get it out of the way.   :cry4`
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

Stu Jackson

The DOWN position is to place the insert at about knee height in the additional recess built into the fiberglass below the wide drawer in the forward cabin. 
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Tom : The down position is usable unless you've installed a door in that lower bulk head.  I find that my door is great for getting access to the lower portion of the V berth storage - under the factory installed drawer. 
I'll get a picture next time I'm at the boat.    :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

To add to Ron's post:  we installed the drawer that used to be under the galley sink in that location.  The PO had installed a microwave under the galley sink and left the drawer.  I cut through the fiberglass and put in the drawer - also gives good access to the thru-hulls for the knot meter and the depth sounder transducers.  This picture shows the 2 drawers: the original upper drawer and the new lower one, plus the "lip" for the DOWN position.  I do not know if the Mark IIs have the DOWN position lip for the insert.

See more pictures at: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=2711.0
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Tom Glennon

Thank you gentlemen! I thought that little rim down there was for accumulating dust all these years! Very good suggestion for the door/drawer placement too.  As I recall, I had a door there on my cat 30, and found it extremely useful as you two have.
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

David Sanner

Isn't that bulkhead suppose to also function as a crash bulkhead?

David Sanner, #611 1988, "Queimada" San Francisco Bay

ross99

I do not know if my pic is going to show up in the post, but here goes:  the PO had a great idea of inserting a teak board, fitted between the two cabinets and in front (aft, actually) of the insert, sort of like a leeboard.   It is a great way to insure that the insert stays in place, tho sometimes a little difficult to crawl over.   Fortunately, the First Mate and I are both pretty tall.

(guess I haven't solved the pic insert puzzle-- any recommendations?)

Stu Jackson

ross99

Pic inserts:

Go to Additional Options down below

In Attach, use the browse button to find the pic on your hard drive.  Make sure it's less than 50KB,

Then click on Post.

Jack Hutteball

Stu,
In answer to your question, our MK ll has the lower shelf ledge molded in and came standard with an upper drawer and a lower opening door for access to storage or electronics.  The drawer is hard to use if the insert is in the upper position, but the door has been handy for access to the speed sensor for cleaning.  Amazing how much water can come in that 2" hole before you put the plug in!
Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

ross99

Another try - convered jpeg to a jpg..