Thanks for all the help

Previous topic - Next topic

John Langford

Kate and I took possession of "Calypso", a 1999 Mark II (sail #1431)last week and moved her to our slip at the Royal Victoria Yacht Club in Cadboro Bay, Victoria, right next door to "Island Rose" a Mark I. We are in the throws of making her "ours" and having a fun time solving the stowage problems in sunny but very cool winter weather.

A couple of small glitches have been sorted out. A significant chain plate leak was fixed with a rebedding. During manufacture or commissioning a misplaced hole was drilled for the cover plate and never properly filled. I am thinking of doing a more thorough epoxy job on it when the weather improves.

Also, the autopilot was binding slightly. This turned out to be caused by the use of a soft metal snap ring on the Edson wheel shaft which had come out of its channel and was allowing the wheel to creep forward and put pressure on the aft side of the ST4000 doughnut. I notice that even with the proper ss snap ring and washer installed, the leather bound wheel still is being rubbed by the cockpit locker cover when it is being opened or closed. Any obcervations on that situation would be welcome.

We also  have done a Message Board search on the availability of ready-made bedding for the giant forepeak berth. A couple of references to Topgallant sheets but I didn't notice the name of any other providers. Suggestions on this would also be welcome. That is one big bunk!

Just sent off our association dues and looking forward to being part of the C34 mob. I would like to take the opportunity to thank everyone who responded to my questions while we were buying "Calypso". It was all very helpful.

Best wishes for 2004
John Langford
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Ray & Sandy Erps

Congratulations on the new boat John,
We're practically neighbors.  I'm 40 miles east of you in La Conner.  We run up to Desolation Sound every summer in July for a few weeks and we'll probably brave the cold weather this holiday weekend and may run over to Friday Harbor or into the San Juans.  Give us a holler if you're out cruising the San Juans.

erps@ncia.com
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA