Winter Tarp Size for Cockpit Only on MKII

Previous topic - Next topic

reedbr

On previous boats, I liked to cover the cockpit in the winter with a canvas tarp.  I don't like the complication of a full length boat cover though.  This is just something to keep the leaves and snow out of the cockpit with a minimum hassle.  I have found a source for decent canvas tarps but I need to figure out what size to get.  My general idea on past boats is to cover the cockpit and the main hatchway, stopping at the traveler.  I also like to hang it lower than the boom on a 2x4 so it doesn't act as a sail in high winds.  Then I hang gallon jugs at the sides to keep it tight while allowing some give and take through wind, snow, etc.  Looks ugly, works good.  

So the question is, how long a tarp, how wide, and where can I lay the 2x4 without hitting the wheel pedestal?  The cockpit is approximately 8' long, so I am guessing a 10-12' long tarp. The beam is 11'6" at the widest point, so the cockpit is an estimated 8-10' wide? Allowing for a vertical rise at the peak, I am thinking a 10x12 tarp?  Sound right?  How do I frame the tent over the pedestal?  If anybody has an idea for this simple type of cover, I'm open to suggestions.  

Thanks.

Brian Reed
1997 C34 mkII "Ambitious"
Solomons, MD
Brian Reed
St. Mary's River, MD

Roc

Brian,
I would suggest putting the tarp over the boom.  The reason is that you want the angle steep enough to let rain and snow fall off.  If not, the rain and snow will collect and create excess weight which could rip the canvas or put excess pressure on the boat.  I wouldn't worry about being too high because of winds, I think pooling water is a bigger concern.  You may want to tarp over the boom, up to the backstay.  Then drape another smaller tarp from the backstay down and over the stern.  I've tried to create a 'custom' cover from stem to stern with a very large rectangular heavy plastic tarp.  It was impossible to get it right with the shrouds and backstay.  As a result, I spent more time fixing it in the bitter cold whenever I checked on my boat.  Also, the rips that occured caused the flogging tarp to whack against some of my fixed port lights, scratching them.  The next year I sprang for a custom canvas cover.  Expensive, but worth it.

Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Mike Smith

Brian -

You might want to remove the wheel and store it below to get it out of the way. Also consider getting some 3/4" PVC irrigation pipe and connectors and make a frame for your boat to provide support for the tarp. The stuff is lightweight, easy to cut and glue and its cheap. You could put some gromets in the tarp at appropriate places and lash it to the frame. We don't get much snow in Gulf Breeze, FL (I won't mention that) but I did build a lightweight frame out of PVC irrigation pipe to keep water from puddling on the cover of my dinghy. I just pick it up and drop it into the dinghy and then snap the cover over it. Works great.

Mike

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer WCX8545
www.mikejansmith.com

[This message was edited by Mike & Jan Smith "Breezer"  '88 #688 on December 04, 2003 at 11:07 AM.]

tsoko

Mike and Brian,
If you are planning to use PVC pipe, PLEASE don't use 3/4".  It won't take the weight of the snow.  I'm sure it's fine for rain and sun, but snow and ice will collapse it almost immediately.  Through trial and error, I've found that you need at least 1.5" PVC pipe, and schedule 40 connectors.  The steeper the pitch of the tarp, the better.  New England winters did a number on my earlier attempts at frames and tarps.

Ken Juul

Brian,

Take a look at "Jolly Roger" on the hard by the bath house.  If I remember correctly he runs a 2x4 from the boom through the split in the backstay.  Uses a line from the backstay to support the rear end of the pole.  Because the backstay runs forward of the rear railings, you will either need to end the tarp short of the stern or cut the tarp and then tie back togther.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

reedbr

Thanks for the advice guys.  I hadn't thought about removing the wheel.  I think my instrument pod pedestal might be taller than my wheel, but I'll have to see.  Ken, I'll look at Jolly Rogers again.  I know he has a full tarp but I can probably get an idea on framing.  I will have to figure out how to get around the backstay, but I'm considering putting an "A" frame over the pedestal and a center beam from the peak to the traveler.  After the wheel I'll just bring it down to the transom and avoid the whole backstay issue.  I bought a canvas waterproofed 10'x12' tarp today (Home Depot, 8oz, 12oz with waterproofing, $30 I think).  As we got 5" of snow last night, this is a little late, but better late than never.

Brian Reed
Solomons, MD
Brian Reed
St. Mary's River, MD