Rust on Rudder

Previous topic - Next topic

sselinger

Being a northerner I winter store on the hard. Last week I was down checking the boat and notice a trial of what looks like rust running down the rudder fron the rudder post. Keeping the boat in the Great Lake, I did not expect to see this. Anyone have a suggestion what to check?

Steve
Aquila

Steve Selinger
Aquila #1047

Bob Mack

Steve - been there. Drop the rudder enough that you can visually inspect the shaft where it enters the rudder blade itself. I had this problem several years back and it turned out to be an electrolysis problem. The SS shaft at point of entry to the rudder had eroded to the point where one more season and the rudder would have failed completely. There are many reasons for rust stains down the rudder shaft - most benign, but don't take a chance.

mike baker

I have also noticed ruct streeks on my rudder.  How difficult is it to lower the rudder?  How do you do it?

Mike Baker #815 "Gray Hawk"

Bob Mack #52

There are probably several notes out there on the subject of the rudder. I wrote up a Tech Note on my particular experience. You might want to do a search of those. Bottom line, if on the 'hard', dropping the rudder enough for an inspection is not that difficult. If required, however, removal for repair/replacement gets a bit more challenging. To be sure, my experience was unusual - but the last thing you need is a rudder to fail since it isn't likely to happen as you maneuver into the slip for the evening toddy!

Stu Jackson

Steve (and other NEWER members)

We spent the last ten plus years saving information for your questions.  

There are two parts to this website.  

This message board, and the main website.

Both of them have search engines.  It's called FIND here on the message board.

It's called SEARCH on the main website.

The most important parts of the main website are:

FAQs

Projects

Tech Notes (online for IAC34 members) and the Tech Note INDEX (available to everyone).  [An easier search on the Tech Notes Index would be for you to copy the index into your word processor and then do an F2 on that document.]

A reference for your rudder question, and the reason people keep saying: "I wrote about that already," is found at:

http://www.c34.org/faq-pages/faq-rudder-rust.html

Inventive searhces, and searchers, may use rudder, rust, rudder rust, or "I'm weeping!!!"

Good luck with your issue.

Let us know if we can help some more.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."