Salon table spider

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig Illman

For those of you that built a replacement salon table, did you re-use the spider from the original table or did you find an additional one? I measured the column yesterday at 2 3/8". The seat & table spiders I find online list 2 7/8". Fishing for ideas? I'd like to be able to swap the original table back in for use with the cushion insert without moving the spider back and forth.

Craig

Jon Schneider

I used the original pedestal, but I only reduced the new table size fore and aft so that the side that runs along the starboard settee goes all the way to the edge of that settee (i.e., to the original depth).  This way, since the length of the table gets full support, I figured I could still use the table as a platform for a berth because there's only about a four or five inch gap on either side.  Not sure about this theory, since I haven't tried it, but that was the idea.  I just wanted the table a bit smaller so that entry to the space would be somewhat easier and access to the cabinets along the starboard side would be reachable without out kneeling on the the seat.  Worked out well for me. 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Bob Kuba

Same here, I used the original pedestal.

I am able to lower this table and pivot it side to side to gain access to the storage under the seats.
I can also swap tables in a couple of minutes should the need arise.
So far it hasn't.

http://www.c34.org/projects/projects-salon-dinette.html
Bob Kuba, C34IA Past Commodore

paule

Craig,

Try Catalina parts department maybe they can direct you to the manufactor of the table spider or they might even have the replacement part. :shock:

Paul
Paul & Lynn Erb
Yachta Yachta Yachta
C34 2003 #1634
Rotonda West, FL 33947

Mark Swenson

I think I saw a 2 3/8 spider in the West Marine catalog.  You might also try Cabelas.  I was in one of their stores over Christmas and saw some, but wasn't sure what size I needed at the time.  I got lucky.  One of my coworkers had an extra one from an old camper and gave it to me last week.

Jim Price

I removed the spyder from the original table and permantly moiunted on the new smaller table I built.  I store the larger table against the aft bulkhead and only use for bedding.  I simply unlock and reomve the small table, push the column down, and slide the large table into place for the bed cushions.  We easly handle 4 floks around the smaller table and never use the large table any longer except for the bed platform.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

DougP

For the bed I cut a 2 piece plywood platform. It's thin, maybe 3/8", and rests on top of the settee trim, not the lip the table sat on. By keeping in thin and cutting it in to two pieces lengthwise it can be stowed under the settee cushions.
Doug & Theressa
Noeta,  #307
Gig Harbor Washington