Brown water dripping from head hatch

Previous topic - Next topic

rjabara

The source of my leak was indeed at the stanchion above the nav table. 
Rich
1990 c34 MK1.5
Chesapeake Bay, MD
M35

Noah

Backing plate and butyl tape and a good hose clamp on holding tank vent should fix you up. Hopefully, no water damage to deck, electrical panel or cabinetry.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Baysider

Hey rjabara,  I'm happy to see that you've found your leak!
1990 Standard Rig
Wing Keel
Hull 1011
Universal M-25XP
Safe Harbor Willsboro Marina
Lake Champlain, NY

Ron Hill

rjabara : After you get the port side fixed (rebedded with butyl rubber and a backing plate) I strongly recommend that you do the same for the starboard side vented stanchion!! because it can have the SAME problem!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Baysider

I couldn't get the bolts out!  There are two bolts with large washers and nuts inside the cabin but they don't turn easily.  The others must be screws or are bolted to something internal between the deck and inside ceiling and they don't turn at all.  I'm thinking of using an impact screwdriver.  Any thoughts out there?

Also I'm still wondering about the gap between the traveler and the tower. I'm wondering if anyone has seen this before.  I assume one of the bolts that secures the traveler is exposed there.  I'll know better once I can get the bolts to turn.
1990 Standard Rig
Wing Keel
Hull 1011
Universal M-25XP
Lake Champlain, NY

Noah

It is a bit confusing to understand which bolts are you talking about. The stanchions (OEM install) should have four bolts with fender washers. The traveler should have bolts through deck into cabin as well as bolts threaded into an aluminum plate embedded in the deck. Other bolts along the far outboard edge secure the hull deck joint. I believe there should be no screws anywhere on the parts you are working on/concerned about.
When you reinstall the stanchions use backing plates and Bed-it Butyl tape.
Standard Rig

Baysider

Thanks Noah.  I'm still on the traveler topic.  Some other folks added a discussion of stanchions.  The traveler has a through bolt on each side.  Thanks for confirmation that there are other bolts secured to an internal plate.  I haven't been able to expose the heads as all of the bolts on the traveler are currently stuck.  That's why I'm asking about the impact screwdriver.  It may be overkill but it may be the only way to get the bolts to move. Has anyone had corrosion issues related to the interface of aluminum and stainless?

Last question for the community: I had asked earlier in this thread about the gap under the far port side of the traveler and attached pictures. I think this seems like a likely path for my water intrusion, hence the questions regarding my problems removing it. The traveler does not appear to be deformed. Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas as to what to do to eliminate the gap?
1990 Standard Rig
Wing Keel
Hull 1011
Universal M-25XP
Lake Champlain, NY

Noah

Standard Rig

Baysider

1990 Standard Rig
Wing Keel