Brown water dripping from head hatch

Previous topic - Next topic

Baysider

I've seen a few older posts about brown water dripping in the head but no resolution as to what might have caused the issue, so I'm starting a new brown water post.

This spring we had a lot of rain and I found that dark brown water had dripped from the outside edges of my head's hatch.  The hatch itself is not leaking.  When I put up our dodger I noticed a significant reduction in the amount brown dripping (there seemed to be no let-up in the amount of rain and I'm told it often has hit with hard winds coming from the direction of the bow) but it still happened.  I ran water around the base of the hatch for about 20 minutes... no leak.  I did the same thing, one at a time, around the platforms the winch, the rope clutch and the traveler sit on. Nothing again.  I ran water directly on top of those and nothing.  Finally, I ran water in the track the companionway cover slides in.  Nothing.  There are no other openings higher than the hatch and am at a loss as to where the water is entering. I'm considering the idea that, with large amounts in the track for possibly hours during storms there could be a leak there. Does anyone have experience with this situation?

Thanks everyone.
1990 Standard Rig
Wing Keel
Hull 1011
Safe Harbor Willsboro Marina
Lake Champlain, NY

waughoo

Brown water would lead me to look for an entry point somewhere "above" the hatch that is traveling through the plywood core and coming out at the hatch.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Ron Hill

Bay : Look at ALL of the thru the deck fittings and start rebedding (I'd recommend butyl rubber).

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Baysider

So I had drenched all of the fittings above the hatch level and saw no resulting leakage.  Are there any others that I hadn't mentioned in my post?
1990 Standard Rig
Wing Keel
Hull 1011
Safe Harbor Willsboro Marina
Lake Champlain, NY

Jim Hardesty

QuoteSo I had drenched all of the fittings above the hatch level and saw no resulting leakage.  Are there any others that I hadn't mentioned in my post?

From your description, sounds like you have a leak into the core somewhere, could be anywhere above the leak.  The water gets in then takes some time to show below. The core is wet for a long time, very bad. 
I suggest you rebed all the deck fittings in the area, along with drying out the core as much as possible.  May take days to dry.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

ghebbns

No solution but exact same problem.  I even notice some in the aft cabin. Like you, it pretty much disappears when the dodger is up.  I will keep you posted if I find anything.
1990 C34 #1040
M 25XP

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

rjabara

Same problem on my 1990 1.5.  Seems these are all early 90's boats on this "brown water" thread.  Mine still comes in when the dodger is up.  I don't know where it is coming from but it shows up pooled in my shower drain. It appears to be coming in from behind the head (composting, so not coming from the head).