Plumbing Questions

Previous topic - Next topic

melp64

I am just about to start working on my plumbing. My day job is construction so I have pex that is alway available to me. I am sure lots of you have already done this and I am wondering if you had any tips. I am also wondering were the shower drain goes and how do I get to it.
Dan
1987 catalina 34, universal diesel, lots of work to do

waughoo

I would use PexA (uponor) to do the boat's domestic plumbing.  I would suggest angle stops/shut offs at all the fixtures as if there is a problem with a fixture it can be isolated while still allowing supply to the others.  I have a plan to put a shut off and drains for the cockpit shower as my boat lives in a non winterizing climate but we do get occasional low temps that I'd prefer to drain that circuit when it isn't summer time.

The shower drain is under the cabin sole and not easily reached without an access port drilled into the floor pan under the teak and holy insert. 
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Noah

As Alex said, changing the shower drain to PEX (or just replacing the hose at all) is a PIA to access and replace. If you don't have to do it, I wouldn't. Make sure you have a strainer on in the head to clean out debris.  I did change all of my hot water to PEX because the existing hose and hose clamps were not ideal and prone to possible leakage when heated. I also installed a temperature regulator/mixing valve to control hot water temp. I kept the regular nylon reenforced hoses on the cool water lines. Unfortunately I have a lot of stuff going on under the sink with my Echo Charger and negative busbar living under there behind the door as well. Very tight!
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Dan : Look at page 4.3.3 (plumbing) and page 4.3.1. (thru hulls) of your owners manual - or the MK 1 manual on our site - Straight forward.
There are a number of owner mods to the galley sink drain and mods to the shower drain as posts on this site.  :thumb:

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788