Asymetical Spinnaker advice

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Price

I am exploring adding an asymetical spinnaker to the inventory (Inland lake).  I want to fly the spinnaker from the furler and not deal with a pole.  I would like to hear what brands, etc. others have and their opinion.  Trying to narrow field of sailmakers without spending a ton of money - but still want something that can run 60 - 160 degree range. Light but broad range degrees and wind speed.  What is your opinion??
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

rirvine

Jim:
There is a good deal of information on this board and on the C34.ORG site about spinnakers.  You can get it all by doing a FIND on the board and a search on the website.  Once you have the sail, you will have a great deal of fun with it plus some scary times as well.

rm_fleming

I have had great experiences with my "drifter" on those light air days on Lake Michigan.  Easy to deploy and douse.  They are a very versatile light sail.  You might want to, at least, think about a drifter before you commit to a a-sym spinnaker.  Take a look at http://uksailmakers.com/encyclopedia/encyclopedia4i.html

Jkar

Jim,

I partially agree with Roger, the drifter is easy to deploy and douse, I just found it under powered over all.  I use the "Flashe" now.  Same principle, just more horse power.  From 30-60 I use the Genoa, 60-70 depends on wind strength, light I use the Genoa, moderate (8-12) I use the Flasher. From 70-120 it is all Flasher.  Get the sock with it and you can single hand raise/douse it as well.  If you race the sock at the top doesn't hinder performance noticeably at all.

http://uksailmakers.com/encyclopedia/encyclopedia4e.html

Bob Kuba

I purchased this spinnaker from the Sail Warehouse as a kit, for just under $1,800.00 It came with an ATN sock, blocks, sheets, tack line, ATN roller furling collar, and the halyard.

Oh, I had my choice of Red & White, or Blue & White.

http://thesailwarehouse.com/

Too much fun!

Terry

Bob - I think what you have is a gennaker (which I think is different than a spinnaker).  The boat I purchased a few years ago came with a gennaker and I'm interested in your setup.  Can you tell me how you route your lines - both the halyard and the sheet.  The guy I bought the boat from said to hook a large block to the back ring (far stern).  But I really didn't understand (partly because he never flew it) but I never really worried about it either.  Thanks...

Ted Pounds

Gennaker, asymetrical spinnaker, cruising spinnaker...  I think most people use the terms interchangebly.  Anyway, for any spinnaker you want to run the sheets as far aft as possible.  On "Molly Rose" I replaced a bolt on each of the stern cleats with eybolts.  I clip blocks onto these and use them to route the sheets forward back to the winches.  The lazy sheet should run outside of the forestay so that the chute is jibed around the front.  Try a search on 'spinnaker' and you'll probably get some more info on setting one up.

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Frank Stich

How did you run the halyard?  I don't have a spinnaker halyard and need to add one and I see that some boats came with a block atop the mast for an external spinnaker halyard.

#927 "Prime Interest"

Bob Kuba

Terry,
My mast was already set up for an internal  spinnaker halyard. It exits the mast on the port side a little higher than the boom, and I tie it off to a cleat on the mast. The upper exit point is just above the spreaders, and it goes up to a block that's attached to a spinnaker "crane" at the top  of the mast. The crane is just a hoop that allows the block to pivot, port and starboard, out ahead of the roller furling. The halyard snap shackle is the clipped either to the bow pulpit, or the cabin top handrail. If you decide to clip it to the bow pulpit, make sure it's taught while you're flying your normal roller furling headsail. If it's loose, It's easy to get it wrapped up in the headsail when you're rolling the headsail back up!

The sheets are run through blocks that have snap shackles at the base, and I just snap to the aft stern cleat(s), and then run the sheet forward to the winch. Many people install dedicated padeye attach points for the blocks, and if you want to drill more holes in your decking, that certainly is an option. But the stern cleats work good, and the angles are perfect as the sheet comes back from the corner of the spinnaker, through the block, and then up to the winch.

The tack line that allows the tack of the spinnaker to be raised up or down, attaches to the atn tack collar, then runs down to a block that's attached to the anchor roller hoop, and then run straight back to the cabin top winch on the port side.

My wife and I fly it short-handed all the time, and it's a lot of fun as long as you're paying attention!

UK Sailmakers has a great video about how to fly a spinnaker for about $20. They call theirs the "Flasher", but it's still the same technique. I watched it about 10 times and figured I was ready. I picked a day with winds blowing about 8 - 10 knots and headed out. After a few mis-cues, (tangled sheet lines through the lifelines), we got it up and flying without scaring ourselves. The boat really came to life in those light winds and it sure looked great!

I know of a lot of people that simply refer to it as the "S" word, because they've had a bad/scary experience while trying to fly theirs. Mostly because they tried to fly it in winds that were either too strong, or too gusty, or both. But under the right conditions, it's a thrill!

[This message was edited by Bob Kuba  #1291, 1994  Quiet Island on November 21, 2003 at 11:00 AM.]

Sjora

I too purchased my whatever you want to call it from the Sail Warehouse, looks just like the one in the picture. I run the sheets through blocks attached to the stern mooring cleats with short loops of line. Have had it a season now and so far no problems. The easiest way to douse it is by blanketing the sail behind the main on a broad reach and "blowing the tack". In other words leave the sheet trimmed in and release the tack connection. (Easy if the tack is a snap shackle) This allows the sail to fly out in front of the main held in place by the sheet where it can be easily snuffed down with the sock at the leeward rail.