instrument cluster panel repair

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete G

The gauges and panel fell out while sailing at the end of last season (the silver plastic panel).  Temporary wood screws worked, but obviously, not a permanent solution.  After looking at the screw holes, I pulled the housing off to repair what looks like poor alignment of the screw holes at the factory.  I'd like to epoxy washers and nuts to the back of the panel so I could remove the gauges when needed (I replaced them, so all may need some tuning).  Any recommendations on augmenting the poor factory quality?
Pete G
"Maris Otter"
1987 C34T #371
Wildwood YC
Cleveland, OH

Jim Hardesty

Pete,
I've had good and easy results using plastic wall anchors in situations like this.  Another way was to use a dab of epoxy putty, the stuff that comes in 2 colors to be kneaded together, on the back side of the hole and redrill for the existing screws.
On a separate note, when reinstalling self taping screws it's good to start with screwing in the wrong direction, when you feel where the threads pass the start, sort of a click, then turn the right direction.  The purpose is to put the screw into the threads that have already been made and not make a second thread.
Hope that helps,
Jim 
Here is just one brand.  It's easy to find in most hardware stores or Amazon.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-All-Purpose-2-oz-Epoxy-Putty-1999131/206156392?irgwc=1&cm_mmc=afl-ir-2003851-1420157-bing&clickid=z47XqZSf3xyPWL4X4a3bUUkeUkHWAOV0EWnR280
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

KWKloeber

Pete

Nuts are defo the best way to go. 

Scarf on a "repair" with epoxy across the corner and extend the center inward with strips of fiberglass mat on the back of the tray.  IIWMB I'd make up one larger flat repair piece separately (build it up in the bottom of a flat plastic container) cut it to the sizes needed, and epoxy on the finished repair product.  I think that would be simpler than trying to build up mat on the tray.  Use West microfibers additive, which has the greatest adhesive property.  Build up the outside surface of the repairs so they are level with the tray so that the panel fasteners do not cause torque on the repairs.

Using stainless nylock flange nuts will eliminate the need to epoxy-on washers.  eBay and Amazon have them.   Rough up the surface so it grabs the epoxy.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain