Adjust the cable tension for steering quadrant

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Krawford and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pbyrne

There's some play in the helm, and a bit more deflection in the cable then I think should be there.

How do you adjust the tension of the cable?
2000 Catalina 34 MK II #1534

Noah

The Edson website should have info and probably a video too.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

pbyrne

Quote from: Noah on April 05, 2024, 12:19:24 PMThe Edson website should have info and probably a video too.

Is this it? https://youtu.be/eDa6fKxmoBU?t=324

Also, what lubricants are needed might as well do that too!

KWKloeber

Do you have pull-pull called in sheaths or cables on sheaves?

The cables are adjusted by the eye bolts, unless they are too stretched and need to be removed, taken up on the u-bolt clamps, then adjusted.

If you have the enclosed type cables there is a lube assembly with a zerk fitting to put on the end of the sheath. Obviously, that requires removing the cables from the radial wheel.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

pby : Yes, that's the correct video. What happens over time is that the threads in the cable lay closer together giving the impression of the cable stretching.

I was able to tighten up my tension by just removing that "Dog House" screwed into the ceiling of the aft cabin and use extensions and a deep well socket.

On a MKI with a standard transom -- REMINDER those "Dog House" screws are two different lengths!! So when you reassemble the longer screws go into the overhead(UP)and the shorter screws the part that is on the outside of the water tank (aft panel)!! Yes, you can puncture the water tank if you mix up the longer screws!!!

Not too sure what your MKII aft cabin overhead looks like ?? so you can disregard my cautions on screw length as your MKII maybe completely different!?!

You want to take up the tension equally on both sides. You want the tension to be just tight with no sag - NOT super taut !!  :thumb:

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

pbyrne

Quote from: KWKloeber on April 05, 2024, 01:36:03 PMDo you have pull-pull called in sheaths or cables on sheaves?

The cables are adjusted by the eye bolts, unless they are too stretched and need to be removed, taken up on the u-bolt clamps, then adjusted.

If you have the enclosed type cables there is a lube assembly with a zerk fitting to put on the end of the sheath. Obviously, that requires removing the cables from the radial wheel.

Hmm.  It has exposed cables if I remember correctly, with sheaves in the aft cabin.  It's a MKII if that helps any...

Best picture I have attached.

pbyrne

Quote from: Ron Hill on April 05, 2024, 01:43:09 PMpby : Yes, that's the correct video. What happens over time is that the threads in the cable lay closer together giving the impression of the cable stretching.

I was able to tighten up my tension by just removing that "Dog House" screwed into the ceiling of the aft cabin and use extensions and a deep well socket. REMINDER those "Dog House" screws are two different lengths!! So when you reassemble the longer screws go into the overhead(UP)and the shorter screws the part that is on the outside of the water tank (aft panel)!! Yes, you can puncture the water tank if you mix up the longer screws!!!

You want to take up the tension equally on both sides. You want the tension to be just tight with no sag - NOT super taught !!  :thumb:

A few thoughts

OH! you can reach the quadrant from in the aft cabin?!  Huh.  And here I laid off the cheetos to fit into the lazarette!

KWKloeber

Pk I don't have that type with open cables do I don't know the recommended lube, if any.
Edson pry has it on its website.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Ron Hill

pby : I'd call EDSON (508) 995-9711 and send them your picture and pose your problem to them. I've talked to them in the past and they have been VERY helpfull !!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

pbyrne

Quote from: Ron Hill on April 05, 2024, 02:40:45 PMpby : I'd call EDSON (508) 995-9711 and send them your picture and pose your problem to them. I've talked to them in the past and they have been VERY helpfull !!

A thought

I read somewhere that it's 30 weight oil an teflon for the bushings, which I'm assuming is in the pedestal itself. 

Is it relatively easy to get to the chain in the pedestal?

pbyrne

Ok, so I think I undue the nuts showing in the third photo, and tighten to draw the bolt with eyelet through the quadrant, on both sides, then tighten the lock nut, and voila?

KWKloeber

Correct.

Mann, it's so nice to see "freshwater" steering!