Remove Aft Water Tank...straps

Previous topic - Next topic

pbyrne

I would like to remove the aft water tank to check on the fittings, and have a good look at the steering.

I don't have a picture, but there are a couple of black straps that hold the tank to the tray, and I'm not sure how you remove them.

Any advice?  (Like I need to ask...) 8)
2000 Catalina 34 MK II #1534

Jim Hardesty

QuoteI don't have a picture, but there are a couple of black straps that hold the tank to the tray, and I'm not sure how you remove them.

They are banding straps.  Only way is to cut them off. Sounds brutal but it's the only way. If you have some pull on a loading dock you may be able to borrow a tool and the material to replace them. I replaced them with Harbor Freight hold down straps.  Something like this but with only one strap and no hooks.  Has worked for many seasons and a lot of sailing.
https://www.harborfreight.com/set-of-two-6-ft-cam-buckle-tie-downs-94012.html

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

pbyrne

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on April 05, 2024, 01:01:38 PM
QuoteI don't have a picture, but there are a couple of black straps that hold the tank to the tray, and I'm not sure how you remove them.

They are banding straps.  Only way is to cut them off. Sounds brutal but it's the only way. If you have some pull on a loading dock you may be able to borrow a tool and the material to replace them. I replaced them with Harbor Freight hold down straps.  Something like this but with only one strap and no hooks.  Has worked for many seasons and a lot of sailing.
https://www.harborfreight.com/set-of-two-6-ft-cam-buckle-tie-downs-94012.html

Jim

I was afraid that was what they were...

How did you attach the rachet straps?

Jim Hardesty

QuoteHow did you attach the rachet straps?

When I pulled the old banding straps I taped a tracer line and pulled it through.  I didn't use rachet straps, used cam lock straps and pulled tight.  The strap had the cam lock on one side and only one strap that followed the path of the original banding straps the cam lock was on top and the extra length of the strap was secured.  Was simpler to do then explain. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

pbyrne

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on April 05, 2024, 02:03:08 PM
QuoteHow did you attach the rachet straps?

When I pulled the old banding straps I taped a tracer line and pulled it through.  I didn't use rachet straps, used cam lock straps and pulled tight.  The strap had the cam lock on one side and only one strap that followed the path of the original banding straps the cam lock was on top and the extra length of the strap was secured.  Was simpler to do then explain. 
Jim

Ok.. I think I get it.  How did you secure the ends of the straps?

Jim Hardesty

QuoteOk.. I think I get it.  How did you secure the ends of the straps?

Rolled them up, sort of more liked folded, then secured with cable ties.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

pbyrne

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on April 06, 2024, 03:58:04 AM
QuoteOk.. I think I get it.  How did you secure the ends of the straps?

Rolled them up, sort of more liked folded, then secured with cable ties.
Jim

Sorry, I should have been more specific.  Did you attach the straps themselves to the tray or where they wrapped around the tray and the tank and then cinched down?

Jim Hardesty

QuoteSorry, I should have been more specific.  Did you attach the straps themselves to the tray or where they wrapped around the tray and the tank and then cinched down?

They wrapped around the tray, same as the original banding straps.  That's the reason for pulling a tracer line with the old banding straps then used the tracer to pull the hold-down strap thru.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

pbyrne

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on April 06, 2024, 07:27:33 AM
QuoteSorry, I should have been more specific.  Did you attach the straps themselves to the tray or where they wrapped around the tray and the tank and then cinched down?

They wrapped around the tray, same as the original banding straps.  That's the reason for pulling a tracer line with the old banding straps then used the tracer to pull the hold-down strap thru.
Jim

Got it.

So how do you cut the bands...?

Jim Hardesty

QuoteHow so you cut the bands...?

Big scissors or slip a thin piece of wood under the bands and use a knife. They cut easy enough if they are plastic as mine were.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

pbyrne

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on April 06, 2024, 08:13:21 AM
QuoteHow so you cut the bands...?

Big scissors or slip a thin piece of wood under the bands and use a knife. They cut easy enough if they are plastic as mine were.
Jim

Good point. I assumed they were metal.