Microwave died

Previous topic - Next topic

karista

My 30 year built in Microwave finally bit the dust. It was installed above the Icebox space which has  9.5" opening. I have been unable to find a replacement that would have a height of 9.5" or less. There are several very old posts where others have named units that fit, however the models are no longer available or their sizes have changed. Has anyone been able to find a Microwave recently that fits the 9.5" opening? If so, I would appreciate the name of the model!
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

Noah

I know this sounds pretty strange but my brother, who is a "fix-it" kind of guy said most are fairly easy to repair. You might see if you can find the rare appliance repair shop or electronics handyman still alive in your area. Fortunately my old microwave is still working. Good luck.  Oh, they also have an over temp function that takes sometime for it to reset. So make sure it is truly "dead".
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jim Hardesty

QuoteMy 30 year built in Microwave finally bit the dust.

It would be nice to find one to match but if you can't as Noah suggested repair may be a good option.  I've repaired microwaves a few times, a surprising number were internal fuses that were easy to replace.  You do need to be very careful, electricity may be stored up in the unit (forget what it's called, maybe magnetron?). 
I suggest you look to the web, I usually find a number of helpful how-to videos on everything. Just takes some searching to get through the ones that are just trying to sell.
Hope that helps,
Jim

Also make sure you're getting power to the plug, unplug the microwave and plug it into an extension cord you  know has power.
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Dave DeAre

I replaced the microwave in my Mk2 with a Willz from Amazon. it was a little narrower than the original, used a small oak 1/4 round as a front batten. Might work for you.

Overdue
2002 34, roller main, tall rig
Burnham Harbor, Chicago

karista

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on March 25, 2024, 05:57:53 AM

It would be nice to find one to match but if you can't as Noah suggested repair may be a good option.  I've repaired microwaves a few times, a surprising number were internal fuses that were easy to replace.  You do need to be very careful, electricity may be stored up in the unit (forget what it's called, maybe magnetron?). 
I suggest you look to the web, I usually find a number of helpful how-to videos on everything. Just takes some searching to get through the ones that are just trying to sell.
Hope that helps,
Jim

Also make sure you're getting power to the plug, unplug the microwave and plug it into an extension cord you  know has power.
Jim
Thanks for the reply, unfortunately the problem is the Touch pad CB. When pressing the buttons, there are no indicators on screen. So its not a typical failure ie fuses, magnatron etc. There are no repair parts available for this old GE unit.

waughoo

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on March 25, 2024, 05:57:53 AM

You do need to be very careful, electricity may be stored up in the unit (forget what it's called, maybe magnetron?).

There is a large capacitor in a microwave which stores the power needed to start the magnetron.  The capacitor is the part to watch out for.  The magnetron is what makes the microwaves.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

tvorgitch

I checked my boat today and it appears to be this one: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/oster-0-7-cu-ft-compact-microwave-silver/1088665.p?skuId=1088665

Here's how it fits
Tom Vorgitch
Goose III
1993 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1235
TR/FK
M35
Ventura, CA

Noah

Looks like the PO lowered/rebuilt the portion of the shelf to make it fit—thus reducing ability to get in/out of dish storage area. A trade-off. See my OEM "analog" microwave's position below
Standard Rig

karista

Quote from: Noah on March 28, 2024, 08:41:35 AMLooks like the PO lowered/rebuilt the portion of the shelf to make it fit—thus reducing ability to get in/out of dish storage area. A trade-off. See my OEM "analog" microwave's position below
Yes, it appears that the lower floor does not line up with the storage floor next to it. So it most likely was lowered so the Microwave would fit into that space. I ordered the Willz unit from Amazon that was posted by Dave earlier, however he has a MKII so not sure if space height is the same as in my MK1.25.

Robert Mann

I bought one from Walmart, a couple of years ago.  It fits above the stove/ice box on my MkII.  Its about the same height as yours but not as wide, so that needs to be accounted for.  I walked around the microwave section and found the smallest one I could, opened it up and measured it and got lucky.
Catalina 34 MkII, Indigostar, 2002 no 1622, Tall Rig, M35-BC

karista

Quote from: Robert Mann on March 29, 2024, 06:04:29 PMI bought one from Walmart, a couple of years ago.  It fits above the stove/ice box on my MkII.  Its about the same height as yours but not as wide, so that needs to be accounted for.  I walked around the microwave section and found the smallest one I could, opened it up and measured it and got lucky.

Yes, I also went to Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes and Best Buy and measured them all, all were about 10 5/16" in height, although some on-line spec's had some at 9.62"H, but unfortunately these specs were not correct.
Lucky we have such a great Forum, a previous reply from Dave mentioned that he ordered a Willz unit from Amazon that fit his space on his MKII. I ordered this unit although I was unsure whether the opening on my MKI would be the same.. I installed it yesterday and indeed it did fit but barely. I would have never found this unit w/o being alerted by Dave.
So, if anyone else is planning to add a Microwave, this unit will fit. I mounted it on 2 wood planks (1"H x 2"W), picked up at Home Depot.

Noah

[/quote]
I mounted it on 2 wood planks (1"H x 2"W), picked up at Home Depot.
[/quote]
Can you please describe/detail how you installed/attached microwave to shelf?
Standard Rig

karista

I mounted it on 2 wood planks (1"H x 2"W), picked up at Home Depot.
[/quote]
Can you please describe/detail how you installed/attached microwave to shelf?

[/quote] The 2 wood planks where installed on floor with double sided tape and aligned so that the Microwave feet are on the center of the planks. The feet have None Skid pads on them. This basically was the same way my old unit was installed and never once moved , even in Gale Force Winds. Should it ever move its easy to just screw in a oak or teak strip of wood with door open, using flat head screws and have the strip butt up to the feet, preventing any forward movement at all.

Ed Shankle

You can also drill countersink holes in the wood strips below the microwave feet just enough to prevent movement but not deep enough to prevent opening the door.
Regards,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA