Air Conditioner Replacement - Brand Recommendations?

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob K

Hello,
I will be replacing our old Mermaid 16K (self-contained unit) this spring, as it is quite old and has a number of issues.  Considering Marinair and Dometic models due to similar size and layout as the Mermaid.   I've read good and bad about each... am hoping I can get some advice from members of this esteemed group  :D
Recommendations for or against for performance,  reliability, noise, etc. 
Thanks!!
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Gulfsailor

Hi Bob

I am about to install an AC on our 34. I put a brand new 16K BTU Mermaid in our Ericson 12 years ago and it worked flawlessly. Heat and AC.
I contacted the company and they're priced a little high (about $2k before you add the water pump, tubing, returns, etc.

I have read good and bad on Webasto.
1998 C34 MK II
(Hull 1378)
New Port Richey, FL

"The difference between a sailboat and a powerboat? On a powerboat you rush to get somewhere. On a sailboat, you're already there."

Bob K

Hi Gulfsailor,
I looked at Webasto but the layout differs quite a bit from the Mermaid, and I'm not sure it would fit under the settee where mine currently sits.    I looked at Mermaid, and their current 16K unit looks to be identical to what I have (was on the boat when I purchased it in 2005).  So it would be an easy swap, but it is an old design, and I think (hope) newer designs should be quieter.  Everything I've looked at is north of $2k, with the Marinair being the lowest cost.  The Marinair is not same as Marineair which was a Dometic product.  Marinair, being imported, costs less.  It is tempting to go with it.... it has high and low pressure gages built-in, so that is a nice feature that others don't have.   
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Gulfsailor

I'd have to say that I thought our Mermaid was loud. It woke me up every time the compressor kicked on. Other than that, it was a beast and never gave me trouble. I had a Dometic Smart Start installed so I could run it off my Honda EU2000 while on the hook.
1998 C34 MK II
(Hull 1378)
New Port Richey, FL

"The difference between a sailboat and a powerboat? On a powerboat you rush to get somewhere. On a sailboat, you're already there."

Gulfsailor

I was onboard today looking at placement options for my install. The cabinet aft of the nav table looks good as does the starboard forward setee and the vberth.

I installed the AC unit in the aft cabin hanging locker on our Ericson and ran the ductwork down the port side of the boat. I am leaning on going with the nav location and supply vents in the aft cabin, salon and forward cabin on the port side.
1998 C34 MK II
(Hull 1378)
New Port Richey, FL

Jim Hardesty

QuoteI was onboard today looking at placement options for my install. The cabinet aft of the nav table looks good as does the starboard forward setee and the vberth.

On Shamrock, a MKII, I installed an AC under the v-berth. The only loss was the drawer, and it's quiet, can sleep well, in the v-berth, with it running.  Am very happy with it.  To be honest it is slow, doesn't to a great job, cooling the aft cabin. Need to keep door open and a fan helps, possibly a booster fan in the duct would help. Not a problem for me as I don't sleep there, rarely have overnight guest there. 
Recommend you consider your sleeping needs and preferences when you think about AC installation.  Another thing to consider is doors for the companion way.  So much easier to keep the cool air in.  I'm very happy with Zucor doors.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Gulfsailor

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on March 09, 2024, 04:53:48 AM
QuoteI was onboard today looking at placement options for my install. The cabinet aft of the nav table looks good as does the starboard forward setee and the vberth.

On Shamrock, a MKII, I installed an AC under the v-berth. The only loss was the drawer, and it's quiet, can sleep well, in the v-berth, with it running.  Am very happy with it.  To be honest it is slow, doesn't to a great job, cooling the aft cabin. Need to keep door open and a fan helps, possibly a booster fan in the duct would help. Not a problem for me as I don't sleep there, rarely have overnight guest there. 
Recommend you consider your sleeping needs and preferences when you think about AC installation.  Another thing to consider is doors for the companion way.  So much easier to keep the cool air in.  I'm very happy with Zucor doors.
Jim

Thanks Jim. How did you fabricate the shelf in the vberth for it to sit on? I think I saw your report here on the install. How did you get the duct to the aft cabin?
Thanks
1998 C34 MK II
(Hull 1378)
New Port Richey, FL

Jim Hardesty

QuoteHow did you fabricate the shelf in the vberth for it to sit on? I think I saw your report here on the install. How did you get the duct to the aft cabin?

For the shelf went to the local lumber yard, a real one, and got a couple of 2 inch by wide boards.  If memory servs it was yellow pine.  I cut and fit them to the hull to support a plywood shelf that the AC would fit on.  Tabed and fiberglass them to the hull, kept that thin if they were ever to be removed.  The strainer and thru hull are just inside the little door and the water outlet is just above the boot stripe port side.
For the duct, mostly was able to run a 4 inch ? duct down the port side in the cubby holes behind the seat backs, did cut some holes but it wasn't difficult.
I purchased my AC from OceanBreeze.  They were very knowledgeable and sold me a very complete kit.  As I remember the only additional purchases were a circuit breaker, wire and little else. I had a few problems I believe were caused by poor handling by the shipper. They took care of them, no problems.
Oceanbreezeac.com

Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

Gulfsailor

Jim

I got a great quote from Ocean Breeze and sent you a PM.

Thanks
Rick
1998 C34 MK II
(Hull 1378)
New Port Richey, FL

Jim Hardesty

Rick,
I responded to your PM with my information.  I noticed that there were some old PM's that I didn't know were there.  I apologize to the people that I didn't respond to.  Will try to look at the PM file more often.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

WTunnessen

On my Mark I, I installed the Dometic Turbo 16,000 BTU in the locker forward of main salon table, ran one large duct thru the v-berth hang locker and hole in the top/shelf of locker where installed a nice wooden box with vents to direct air to main salon and v-berth.

The unit cools down the entire boat, including the aft cabin, since salon vent points toward the aft cabin door.

This unit has a sound cover over the compressor and a relatively small foot print. Sound / noise control was an important consideration since my wife would not have tolerated a loud compressor, I was willing to pay more for this unit.

The boat is located in Maryland where its quite hot and humid in the summer and it works so well that we sometimes get condensation on the outside of the boat like a beer bottle. I've wondered if I could have gone with a 14,000 BTU unit instead.  Heat side also works well too but I really need to install a vent a floor level. Also installed a soft start to use with a portable Honda generator.

Gaulois #579 C34 Tall Rig - CYC West River, MD