Looking for info fridge top hinges

Previous topic - Next topic

bayates

I have been searching the forum and tech notes to find any info on adding hinges to the fridge cover.  I pretty sure I have seen it but cannot find it.  Any help pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated. 
Brian & Pat Yates
Hakuna Matata
2000 MKII #1517
San Diego, CA

Ron Hill

Brian : I thought about hinges, but then decided against them.  I have a 1 " thick thermal pad that covers the entire area above the fridge and I just couldn't figure out if hinges were really necessary and they'd probably be in the way with that pad.  The pad keeps the cold from migrating thru the countertop and helps insulate the fridge!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Brian—I have installed hinges and like them. I will take some photos tomorrow when on the boat.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Steve McGill

CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

WBev

Brian- I added the hinges last season.  I did not over think it.  The admiral loves them.  Me, not so much.  Make sure they separate.  I used SeaChoice, I believe.  I installed them so they could separate, but the shelf above does prevent this.  So, the hinges shown on the link Steve McGill posted has the hinges you want.  They will allow removal of the pin with the top raised, but not outside of the countertop opening.  That is key.
My SeaChoice hinges will not separate if the lid is not above the countertop, so they must be unscrewed from either the lid or the counter/fiddle I screwed into.
Wobegon II
1992 C-34 MK 1.5
#1211,  Wing/Tall Rig
Universal M35
Magothy River, MD

bayates

Quote from: Steve McGill on January 16, 2024, 02:08:00 PM
Brian, here is one link, I searched on " hinges"

https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,2742.msg19758.html#msg19758

Steve, I did not search on hinges alone. I used refrigertor hinge.  What a dummy I was.  Thanks for the info.   
Brian & Pat Yates
Hakuna Matata
2000 MKII #1517
San Diego, CA

bayates

All, thanks for the responses and info.  Noah, I look forward to the pictures.  Thanks. 
Brian & Pat Yates
Hakuna Matata
2000 MKII #1517
San Diego, CA

Noah

Here you go, pics of my hinges. Pretty simple. However, due to the shelf above the top only opens to about 75(?) degrees angle—which works fine for me. Also, I do not like those coiling spring hatch holders. I have one on my chart table and it is a finger smasher and head banger. So, I use a bungee cord to hold up my fridge lid. Much more secure.
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

I did two hinges like Noah's but laid the outboard ends on the countertop.  I keep the lid up with a spring hatch holder.  I use a spring hatch holder on my nav station desktop, too.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ed Shankle

I used chrome hinges that have the pin afixed to one end so that to remove the cover you just open the cover and slide to the side. Like Stu, there is enough room behind the cover for the hinge to lay flat. Instead of the spring load cover, I hung a hook from the shelf trim above the cover, lined up with the finger loop cover opener. Just slide the hook through the finger loop to hold the cover open.
Used the same hinges and concept for the engine cover only reversed the setup to hold the cover open. Pad eye on the wall above and hook attached to the cover.
Regards,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Jon W

I have two SST hinges screwed into the fridge lid and the counter. The lid opens as far as possible without hitting the locker above it (I think the MK1 locker above the fridge might be narrower than newer boats). The lid is held open by a SST clip a PO found and installed. Works great, it's simple, no maintenance, and no need to find somewhere to put the lid when you're in the fridge.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Ron Hill

Guys : Actually if you have Noah's bungy cord arrangement you don't need any hinges!!!  Because the hatch will be held in the indented/recesses countertop grove while the bungy cord holds the hatch open!!   :thumb:

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Standard Rig

Jim Hardesty

Brian,
None of the pictures are from a MKll so I'm not sure how much they apply.  I suggest you get a hardware store hinge close to the size you want (cheep) and use auto trim attachment tape or similar double-sided tape and do a mockup to check function and appearance.  Let me know how works out, anything to help getting into the fridge.  I keep a folding step stool to get stuff on any of the lower levels.  I find a lot of other uses for it.  Mine is similar to this
www.amazon.com/Folding-Step-Stool-Lightweight-Bathroom/dp/B06VWGR65N/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=folding+step+stool&qid=1706145548&sr=8-1
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Brian : Jim is correct - all of the hinge ideas are on a MK 1 with hinges on their Formica counter tops.  I'm not too sure that MKII owners are willing to drill in to their Corian counter tops to mount hinges.  Don't blame them!!   :?

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788