new 1 AWG to engine from battery bank

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

what is the distance between the battery bank the engine. I want to install 1AWG wiring on pos and neg side, given the age of the wiring. Thanks very much
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Ron Hill

Cliff : I don't know the exact distance but I'll guess at 6-8 ft?  But WHY are you planning to use such HEAVY wire!??!  I rewired with #4 gage, but it was marine grade wire and I soldered all of the connections and have NEVER had a problem!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

My boat is set up differently than stock, but perhaps this might help? Hope you can read it with current file resolution.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Quote from: crieders on December 06, 2023, 02:13:17 PM
what is the distance between the battery bank the engine. I want to install 1AWG wiring on pos and neg side, given the age of the wiring. Thanks very much

Cliff,

Distance for what?  The ROUTING of the wire(s) is a critical part of the distance, since measuring voltage drop is based on the actual length of the wire, not a straight line dimension.  Also, just where you leave the battery box and where you plan to connect at the engine end is important.  That routing is impacted also on whether you intend to go UNDER the engine to get there (which I did when I rerouted my positive from the AO and supplemental negative).

Making the wire that big needs to be determined on the load.  Absent an inverter, #1AWG is not necessary on a C34.  With a reasonably sized inverter (1500W) it would be inadequate.  Something is not in balance here.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

crieders

Thank you all. 1 awg was recommended by a marine electric guy who is highly regarded in the Rock Hall Md area.
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Jon W

I did an extensive rewire on my boat several years ago and used 1AWG for the charging system. Very happy I did. I have a write up in the Tech WIKI if you're interested. As a word of caution each boat is slightly different so you can't use someone else's dimensions for anything but reference.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Ron Hill

Cliff : As mentioned I used #4 gage wire from my alternator to the batteries circuit .  I did upgrade to #2 wire for my starting battery wire circuit. All wire is tinned marine grade wire with crimps and solder. 

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: crieders on December 06, 2023, 02:13:17 PM

Good move Cliff.
The OEM #4 is waaaay too light for the starting cable.  #2 or #1 is minimum depending on the distance but since it's a one-time purchase #2 so #1 is better for not a lot more cash than #1 #2.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jon W

2 AWG is smaller diameter than 1AWG. Did you mean 1AWG is better than 2AWG for a little more cash?

I used tinned and stranded marine grade wire/cable rated for 600V, 105°C dry and 75°C wet.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

Duh!!!

Thx for rescinding my diploma, Jon!!!
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Jon W

No worries, you're still the professor  :thumb:
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Ron Hill

Guys: SORRY, but my #4 marine grade wiring has work FLAWLESSLY for only 33 years with the original M25XP and the new M25XPB engines !!!  So #4 size is Not "WAAAY TOO small"!!!! :thumb:

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

No 4 awg is plenty, unless owners give a flyin crap about ABYC standards and the maximum voltage drop on critical circuits.  But who cares about that.

Ron Hill

Guys : I scanned the ABYC E11 and didn't find that stringent about  "voltage drop and minimum voltage drop on critical circuits!!"  [/quote]  "#4 awg is plenty unless owners give a flyin crap about ABYC standards and the maximum voltage drop on critical circuits.  But who cares about that." [/quote]

The only critical circuit that I know of on my C34 is the Engine Starting.  With my skimpy AWG #4 tined wire - I touch the glow plugs for 5 seconds, and the touch the starter for 1 second and the engine STARTS!!  As I said before I made that wiring change in 1991? and have had NO problems since!!

So Guys if you want a heavier gage wire - go for it, but it really isn't necessary!!   :shock:

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Ron Hill

Guys : I scanned the ABYC E11 and didn't find that stringent about  "voltage drop and minimum voltage drop on critical circuits!!"  [/quote]  "#4 awg is plenty unless owners give a flyin crap about ABYC standards and the maximum voltage drop on critical circuits.  But who cares about that." [/quote]

The only critical circuit that I know of on my C34 is the Engine Starting.  With my skimpy AWG #4 tined wire - I touch the glow plugs for 5 seconds, and the touch the starter for 1 second and the engine STARTS!!  As I said before I made that wiring change in 1991? and have had NO problems since!!

So Guys if you want a heavier gage wire - go for it, but it really isn't necessary!!   :shock:

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788