Heat Exchanger/exhaust elbow replacement recommendations universal 35b

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

Quote from: tomsoyer on December 09, 2023, 07:23:03 PM
Quote from: Noah on December 09, 2023, 12:33:19 PM
I am not the guy to give you specifics on your 35B motor. I have an M25XP. Not sure what you mean "what was your approach with Aqualift muffler"? My original muffler is doing fine. Do install a hump hose.

2  hump hose and a fiberglass elbow. Sounds like you should used a hump hose.

Tom

If you're referring to a specific installation please post a link to it or a photo of what you're referring to.
Help is help you.

Perhaps the owner had installed a different muffler or had to change sizes (e.g., 2" to 1-5/8" hose) and used a fiberglass adapter.  Or, used a silicone exhausr hose but not a "hump" hose.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Sailing Sirona

Hi Tom,

I recently (last spring) made the same repairs after mine corroded through at the exhaust nipple (most common point of failure on these, I think).  After a lot of looking around and comparison, I found that having a local welder fabricate the riser was much less expensive than getting one from CD (that did include shipping to BC, so may be less to ship somewhere in the US, but that may still be a cost factor).  He was able to size and replicate the riser, no problem. 

Other parts I bought included the flange, flange gasket (not shown in the photo), hump hose, thermal wrap, and misc new hoses and clamps.

Cost to fabricate the riser was about $450 CAD, and the whole project was about $850 CAD.  Bottom line was that, at least for me, having the riser fabricated by a local welder was well worth it.  Hope that helps.
Steve Richards
"Sirona"
1992 C34 1.5 (#1194), M35
Cowichan Bay, BC

Stu Jackson

I may have posted these before in this thread, they are in my 101 Topics:

Muffler & Exhaust Riser Replacement 101 (2015 Tech Note with Tips & Tricks)
https://c34.org/muffler-exhaust-riser-replacement-2015/

Westerbeke Nipple Source  https://www.westerbeke.com/Product/NIPPLE/299693
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Dave Spencer

Quote from: KWKloeber on December 10, 2023, 11:47:52 PM
I am not the guy to give you specifics on your 35B motor. I have an M25XP. Not sure what you mean "what was your approach with Aqualift muffler"? My original muffler is doing fine. Do install a hump hose.

Tom

If you're referring to a specific installation please post a link to it or a photo of what you're referring to.
Help is help you.

Perhaps the owner had installed a different muffler or had to change sizes (e.g., 2" to 1-5/8" hose) and used a fiberglass adapter.  Or, used a silicone exhausr hose but not a "hump" hose.

Ken,
I think the post Tom was referring to was this one showing a fibreglass elbow joining two hump hoses:
https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,11848.msg96302.html#msg96302

Tom,
Here's how I replaced my hump hose.  I have an M35Ac in my Mk1.5 C34 but I think this part is fairly common on most C34s.
https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6878.msg45884.html#msg45884
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Ron Hill

Guys : Toms ' installation riser is slightly different because he has an M35B engine.  It appears that the M35A engine has the same muffler (top entry/exhaust) as the M25/M25XP engines.

The M35B muffler has side entry/exhaust ports!!  He can use the shorter hump hose!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Dave Spencer on December 11, 2023, 12:15:31 PM
Quote from: KWKloeber on December 10, 2023, 11:47:52 PM

Tom

Help is help you.

Ken,
I think the post Tom was referring to was this one showing a fibreglass elbow joining two hump hoses:
https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,11848.msg96302.html#msg96302

Tom,
Here's how I replaced my hump hose.  I have an M35Ac in my Mk1.5 C34 but I think this part is fairly common on most C34s.
https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6878.msg45884.html#msg45884

Dave/Tom

Ah hahhh.  Thanks.

Yep, context says it all!!

That was unnecessarily complicated, but of course it worked.   Being the long length of hose between the riser (looks like a Westerbeke exhaust elbow?) and the muffler, two hump hoses was overkill/unnecessarily expense.  Indeed, he could have used 1-5/8" silicone exhaust hose in a gentle sweep, which is way soft enough compared to the hard wire-reinforced hose he replaced, to absorb engine vibration.  The cost would have been about half the way it was done and K.I.S.S.

-Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Ron Hill

Tom : I'm not familiar with what kind of hose that Catalina used as a 5/8" hose from the anti-syphon valve to the nipple inlet on the M35B riser??  If they used a wire reinforced hose CHANGE it to a nylon hose!!!  Wire reinforced Hose is Toooo stiff!!! That way the engine vibrations are NOT transmitted to that nipple weld with a softer nylon reinforced hose - because engine vibrations will fatigue the weld and eventually cause a crack / leak.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

tomsoyer

Thank you all for the valuable feed back. I really appreciate the help.

I am going to go with a Catalina direct exhaust riser and a Sea Kamp heat exchanger. Heat exchanger came today in the mail. Only took a day to get it after ordering, and I am supposed to get the riser tomorrow. Hopefully I will be able to start on the project this weekend!

Ron,

the hose currently on the nipple is:
https://www.fisheriessupply.com/sierra-series-250-shieldsflex-ii-marine-water-exhaust-hose

which i was planning on replacing with the same thing. Did you have other hose recommendations?

Ron Hill

Tom :  I went to the site you posted and here's what I found:

SIERRA SERIES 250
Series 250 Shieldsflex II Water/Exhaust Hose
Shieldsflex II Marine Water/Exhaust Hose - 3/4"

SKU: 09482 Item ID: SIE 116-250-0340
Premium Wired Exhaust Hose
Meets or exceeds standards
Cut lengths non returnable

What you want from the anti syphon valve to the nipple is a plan old nylon reinforced water heater hose!!  Go to an auto parts store and get a Gates brand heater hose and use that!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Let's not make this complicated.
TOM, what you want is not series 250 hose with wire, you want series 200 hose that does not have wire.  Or silicone hose (which is without wire) from someplace mail-order like HPS Silicone hoses.

Ron Hill

Tom : I'm sure that "Gates" hose from your auto parts store is one of the lowest cost good brands of heater hose - and it does the job!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788