Waste Valve Leaks When Exercised; Do I Really Need This Valve?

Previous topic - Next topic

Rees

The 2 way waste valve, you know the one at bottom of closet between nav desk and head, the one that either directs to holding tank or dumps overboard? Mine leaks a little every time I exercise it. The scent manages to permeate throughout the entire saloon area. In my pursuit of a nice smelling cabin this is a thorn in my side!  I've considered replacing this RC Marine valve but I am wondering if I shouldn't just remove it entirely and replace with a standard shutoff valve or just a barbed straight fitting.  Isn't this design from a different time when flushing overboard was accepted practice?  I can still dump via the macerator through-hull if I happened to be in a location where this is acceptable.   Has anyone else had these thoughts, removed this valve?

Ron Hill

Reese : You can replace the valve or do like you said - use the macerator exit.  Either way you need to be in an area that allows DUMPING!!

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

senorquill

If you plan on doing any extended cruising than I would keep that function. I'm in the Bahamas now and having that would be nice since there are no pumps out, even at marinas. I've had a macerator break before, and with no pump outs, you'd be in a jam.
MQ

KWKloeber

I removed my Y valve, but could physically discharge directly to the thru hull.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Rees : You are all plumbed to either dump overboard or send to the holding tank.  I'd just replace the "Y" valve and keep that capability!!  :thumb:

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

QuoteHas anyone else had these thoughts, removed this valve?

When I bought Shamrock that valve and the macerator were already removed.  No problem for now as I sail the Great Lakes.  Would be a small thing to replumb.
So I think it depends on where you are.  If you are in a no discharge zone, remove it and plug the thru hull.  If you can discharge replace it, and check your hoses they may well be permeated.  ie stinky
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Noah

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on March 12, 2024, 01:12:12 PM
QuoteHas anyone else had these thoughts, removed this valve?

When I bought Shamrock that valve and the macerator were already removed.  No problem for now as I sail the Great Lakes.
Jim
You can discharge black water into the Great Lakes?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

waughoo

Noah...

Jim was saying that his discharge valves were bypassed/deactivated which isn't a problem on the great lakes (no discharge zone).  It would be easy to fix if Jim wanted to go elsewhere where one COULD discharge.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Jim Hardesty

QuoteYou can discharge black water into the Great Lakes?

A big no to that. Any black water overboard discharge valve is to be disabled.  At least the handle has to be removed.  Both the US and Canada officials will check and often fine. They used to look for that a lot, now not so much. They must not find many offenders.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA