Cover Removal For Emergency Steering

Previous topic - Next topic

Rondeez

I Am A New Owner Of A 2003 mkII. This Past Season While Checking Out The Various Equipment On The Boat, Removing The Cover Plate For The Emergency Tiller Was Almost Impossable. After Two Hours And Considerable Damage To The Cover I Finaly Succeeded. The Problem Was That In The Manufacuring, The Deck Fitting Was So Far Off Center That The Tabs On The Cover Plate Were Hitting The Side Of The Sleeve Around The Rudder Post. The Only Fix I Could Come Up With Is To Grind About 1/8 Inch Off The Sleeve Where The Tabs Were Hitting. Is This A Common Problem Or Just Mine?

[This message was edited by Ronald on November 09, 2003 at 12:26 PM.]

johnkountz

I recently purchased an '89 C34 and I can not find the emergency tiller.

Where is this access panel located?

'89 #936 - Tranquility

Ray & Sandy Erps

Hello John,

I don't think our older boats have one of those doo-hickeys.  We have a cap on top of the rudder post that has a hole to accept an emergency tiller handle.  It's below the forward edge of the back seat, about in the middle.

Ray
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

Jim "SV Ohana"

I've read most of the posts about emergency tillers.  I've got a 91 mk1 with a walkthrough. I've got a large plate with two holes, looks like it needs either a very long spanner or a couple screwdrivers to unscrew.  Two questions; this DOES unscrew?? and there was some talk of the rudder DROPPING if this plate is taken off?? That doesn't sound right to me. Thought I"d ask before I proceed.
Thanks
Jim

Denny #142 86 Tuning Poin

Jim
I have an 86 but don't think your rudder will drop until you remove the top bolt.  You should also have a locking bolt in the quadrant to prevent dropping.

sail4dale

I had a tough time getting the plate loose with the spanner furnished with the boat.  It didn't line up with the spanner holes and hadn't been lubricated on the threads.  

The plate doesn't attach to anything.  It is strictly a "coverplate".

Be sure to lub the threads before replacing it.