1986 Espar Heater won't start

Previous topic - Next topic

Porchhound

Mechanics from marina said it was getting fuel, but it still won't start. It runs for a few seconds, then shuts off. They called the Seattle Espar guy and he said it was probably the computer board, which is no longer available. When the mechanics first worked on it they got it started after several cycles, it then blew out a thick cloud of smoke and worked. It worked for me the next day...once. Any notions? I'm not willing to put $3-4K in a new heater.
If human intelligence is insufficient, why think something artificial modeled after it would be better?

waughoo

It might need a thorough burner clean and maybe a few small parts such as the igniter and such.  If it is already not working, you don't have much to loose in taking it apart.  Do a bit of you tube sleuthing on espar heater service or cleaning and I'll bet you'll find some good information.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Noah

Do some googling. There are several knock-off (similar to Espar) diesel heaters that are being used successfully on boats, RVs, and busses, and cost less than $700 complete. Several YouTube sailors have installed and done reviews. Just need to search.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig