My second C34 - a great summer, but issue with oil change

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Andy,

I don't think anyone is questioning what YOU have on your boat, just pointing out what has been "normal" on other C34s.

1.  Ever since the first boats were built, there was a small door in the aft cabin expressly included by Catalina for access to the oil dipstick.

2.  When the first Mark IIs came out, one of their skippers posted a thread here showing how he'd "cleverly" add that door to his boat!  Evidently the factory forgot it on his hull.  AFIK, all other boats have that door.

3.  There have been discussions about where the oil dipstick for M25 series engines were on the original tractors that these engines came from.  A respondent pointed out that the tractors had them on the port side and someone pointed out that the change was made during the "marinizing process" and involved a slight change to the oil pan, too, at that location.  This makes sense since IIRC that tractor manual in our wiki for the M25 shows it on the port side and the oil pan would be slightly different in that dipstick location.  In addition, the M25 series engine was used in multiple Catalinas, including the C30 and C36.  I don't know whether the C30 would "benefit" from a starboard location since I recall access is from the seat cover above it although there is side access from starboard.  I think the C36s have a little door like ours, too, although once their companionway stairs are lifted, access to port is just fine.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KeelsonGraham

Like Jim's the dipstick on my M35BC (2006)  is on the starboard side just behind the air filter and goes directly into the block.
2006 Catalina 34 Mk II. Hull No:1752. Engine: M35 BC.

rmjohns

Andy,
   My boat is 1390, so 4 boats before yours. I have the same setup as you. My oil dipstick is on the top and I have to slightly pull back the hot water hose to get to it. I've never paid attention to the bottom of the tube, but I'm sure it's the same as yours down the port side of the engine.  I also do not have a door along the starboard side aft cabin for engine access like I've seen on other Mkiis. If I'm understanding this thread correctly, that's where the later MKiis have to check the oil. I have to go under the stairs.

I'm hoping to get down to the boat this weekend, I can measure the dipstick if so.

Rob. 
Rob

1998 Catalina 34 Mkii 1390 - Miss Allie
New Bern, NC

rmjohns

Hi Andy,
As a follow on, my dipstick is also 17.5" long and the number on the dipstick matches what you have. 16282-36411. I looked in my owners manual and the oil capacity is listed as 5.5 quarts, so a bit less than you have if you added 6.5 quarts. Still, better than 4 quarts.  I looked through my logs and I didn't write down how much oil I put in.  I do remember last time needing to get another quart to add but it could be that I expected 4 and needed 5. I'll have to pay attention next time I change it.

Rob.
Rob

New Bern, NC

AndyBC

Quote from: Stu Jackson on October 26, 2023, 11:26:54 AM
Andy,

I don't think anyone is questioning what YOU have on your boat, just pointing out what has been "normal" on other C34s.

1.  Ever since the first boats were built, there was a small door in the aft cabin expressly included by Catalina for access to the oil dipstick.

2.  When the first Mark IIs came out, one of their skippers posted a thread here showing how he'd "cleverly" add that door to his boat!  Evidently the factory forgot it on his hull.  AFIK, all other boats have that door.

3.  There have been discussions about where the oil dipstick for M25 series engines were on the original tractors that these engines came from.  A respondent pointed out that the tractors had them on the port side and someone pointed out that the change was made during the "marinizing process" and involved a slight change to the oil pan, too, at that location.  This makes sense since IIRC that tractor manual in our wiki for the M25 shows it on the port side and the oil pan would be slightly different in that dipstick location.  In addition, the M25 series engine was used in multiple Catalinas, including the C30 and C36.  I don't know whether the C30 would "benefit" from a starboard location since I recall access is from the seat cover above it although there is side access from starboard.  I think the C36s have a little door like ours, too, although once their companionway stairs are lifted, access to port is just fine.

Hi Stu,

I don't have an access door in the aft cabin or the head.  My oil dipstick is accessed from the top of the engine.  It appears that later MK2's have the oil dipstick on the starboard side, so an access door is present in the aft cabin.  Even though I don't have an access door in the aft cabin, there is actually plenty of room on the starboard side of the engine.  Unlike the port side which is very cramped.

I wonder why the oil dipstick location was moved on the M35B in later years?  Perhaps some sort of issue with it being on the port side.
1998 C34 MKII #1394 - M35BC, WK

AndyBC

Quote from: rmjohns on October 28, 2023, 03:07:22 PM
Hi Andy,
As a follow on, my dipstick is also 17.5" long and the number on the dipstick matches what you have. 16282-36411. I looked in my owners manual and the oil capacity is listed as 5.5 quarts, so a bit less than you have if you added 6.5 quarts. Still, better than 4 quarts.  I looked through my logs and I didn't write down how much oil I put in.  I do remember last time needing to get another quart to add but it could be that I expected 4 and needed 5. I'll have to pay attention next time I change it.

Rob.

Hi Rob, our boats are closely related!! :)  Thanks very much for confirming your dipstick # and measuring it.  It makes me feel better that you have the exact same dipstick as I do.  I ended up putting in 5 quarts of oil total, but based on the info you provided, I'll add 0.5 more.  When you checked your dipstick, was the oil level at the very bottom of the dipstick, approx 0.25-0.50" inches from the bottom?

Jim Hardesty

Hi Andy,
Your motor is different from mine, though they are very similar.  That explains things.  Sorry for any bad information from me.  Now that that you have confirmed the dipstick is correct run it with the oil between the marks, I prefer closer to the top mark.  Sounds like the original operators was missing when you bought the boat, would be a good thing to have.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

AndyBC

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on October 29, 2023, 05:25:38 AM
Hi Andy,
Your motor is different from mine, though they are very similar.  That explains things.  Sorry for any bad information from me.  Now that that you have confirmed the dipstick is correct run it with the oil between the marks, I prefer closer to the top mark.  Sounds like the original operators was missing when you bought the boat, would be a good thing to have.
Jim

Thanks Jim -- you gave me great information!  I appreciated very much the info, photos, and measurements you provided!  The mystery is now solved thanks to responses from yourself and the others :)

rmjohns

Andy, my oil level came up to the middle of the "282", so maybe slightly more than 1/2 inch from the bottom of the dipstick. The serial numbers seem to be the low/full range, so I'm a little on the low side of middle. It's about time for the fall season maintenance, so it will get changed here soon.

Rob.
Rob

New Bern, NC

AndyBC

Quote from: rmjohns on October 29, 2023, 01:14:49 PM
Andy, my oil level came up to the middle of the "282", so maybe slightly more than 1/2 inch from the bottom of the dipstick. The serial numbers seem to be the low/full range, so I'm a little on the low side of middle. It's about time for the fall season maintenance, so it will get changed here soon.

Rob.

Excellent, this gives me a good comparison.  Thanks again for the very helpful info.  All the best with the fall season maintenance!