Question about traveler mounted fairlead

Previous topic - Next topic

csimmerling

I have a double fairlead mounted under each side of my traveler. These direct the mainsheet and halyards to the winches next to the companionway. However, the insides of the fairleads aren't smooth but have ridges or dimples that give friction on my lines. Are they supposed to be this way? I haven't seen this before and am wondering if it's intentional or something the PO did. I'd prefer having them smooth. I am attaching a photo, hope it works.
"Natterling", #148 1986 mk 1 fin keel std rig, Port Jefferson, NY

Gary Brockman

All of mine are smooth. You can get replacements from Garhauer if it is a problem.
Squall
1986 Hull #231
Tall Rig/Fin Keel - Elliptical Rudder
M25XPB - Flexofold 2 Blade 15x10
Marina del Rey, California

Ron Hill

Csim : The inside should be smooth like the other side.  Remove it and send it back to Garhauer for a replacement!!!

In the future add your hull # and engine if you have a question!!   This time it was easy, but most questions need that info to be properly answered!!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

waughoo

As others have said, they should be smooth.  The hard part will be removing the screw to replace it.  The stainless screw in the aluminum fairleed gets pretty darn stuck.  I replaced mine for "3" hole fairleeds.  Garhauer makes up to "6" hole fairleeds that fit there.  If you replace them you may want to consider upping the hole count.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte