Removing transmission

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Spicer

Looking at some old posts about removing the transmission, some say the engine needs to move forward to remove it, some have said it will come out without moving the engine. Does that depend on the year,model? I have a 1988 mark l.
Tall rig,wing keel, #789. What does it take to pull the transmission? Can the engine move forward enough without removing the wiring?
It looks like the engine needs to come forward to get to the transmission, but this is all new to me. I need some guidance before I get in over my head.
  Thank you
      Phil
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

dfloeter

On my Mark 2 there is ample space once the prop shaft is slid back. It seems to me the earlier boats might be similar.  The tough part is getting the trans to slide back off it's mounting due to the tight tolerances.  I think I started the movement with a putty knife between trans and engine and then a screwdriver gradually moving around and not forcing anything.  Good luck. 
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

Ron Hill

Phil : You have an M25XP engine and the transmission is attached to the bell housing from the INSIDE.  You need to remove the bell housing so you can get at those inside bolts. The easiest way is to pull the engine. 
If you have access to a chain hoist you can pull the engine, swing it forward and set it down infront of the head door. Then you can gain access to the bell housing bolts and then to those inside bolts holding the transmission.

You might? even be able to do that job by lifting and swinging the engine around (still attached to the chain hoist) and remove that bell housing.  I've done it by setting the engine down, but not by just swinging it around.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

kh3412

Phil have to take bellhousing off. I put the engine in the valley and did it on the floor. Wiring is not to bad, seven wires I think. You want a hand let me know
1987 mk1 a work in progress #618

kh3412

Come to think of it. I had to pull it a second time as I dropped something in the new trans. Did it in place as I knew what bolts had to come out.
1987 mk1 a work in progress #618

Phil Spicer

Thank you Kirk.. I'll take you up on that. We'll do this after the boat show.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.