Raising the boom

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulus

I would like to raise the boom about 6" so that it would not rub on my bimini and flatten it out more.
Has anyone done this?
Would appreciate any thoughts or ideas.
Paul

PS:  Cool Change returned from the North Channel just before Labor Day.  My wife and I spend 2 1/2 months in this wonderful area.
Cool Change 1989 #944

Kyle Ewing

Sailmaker may be able to modify the mainsail so the boom rests higher.
Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

Noah

I am guessing you will have to raise the gooseneck AND have the sail recut.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Paulus : If you want to raise the boom (I assume with the Main sail UP??) you'll need to have the Mainsail recut!!  Then you'll also have to move the "Goose Neck" up on the mast!!

If you are talking about with the Mainsail down (furled) you need to adjust the toping lift or adjust the boom vang!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Paulus on September 22, 2023, 11:01:11 AM
I would like to raise the boom about 6" so that it would not rub on my bimini and flatten it out more.
Has anyone done this?
Would appreciate any thoughts or ideas.
Paul

PS:  Cool Change returned from the North Channel just before Labor Day.  My wife and I spend 2 1/2 months in this wonderful area.

Paul

I had the same issue with my Bimini/connecting awning to the dodger (it's a different story why.)

I raised the gooseneck on my 30 about 6" as I had at least that much leeway to the mast truck.  I never regret doing it.

I ass/u/me that you have already done the math and have the room.   
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Phil Spicer

We had the same problem. Had a sail maker keep the tack location and raised clew 12". How much you raise the clew would depend on the height of your Bimini. Taking a wedge out of the bottom of the main was our choice.
Just my view , good luck
     Phil
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Holger Dieske

... longer and Higher
I am from Germany and I use Google-Translator! (and a little bit my brian ;) )

C34 "RUNAWAY" Mark 1.5 - 1992 WK - Hull Nr. 1219 - Yanmar3GM30F - Flag: German - Boat stay in Mediterranean Sea.

Paulus

Appreciate the input.  I have not measured yet if I can move the boom up and have the sail recut.
Thanks for the all the suggestions. Will measure on Monday.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Paulus

Measured today can move the boom up  4-5".  Has anyone done this and a pic would be helpful.  The mainsail would have to be recut.
Thanks, Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Matthieu G

Quote from: Holger Dieske on September 23, 2023, 04:31:24 AM
... longer and Higher

Hey,

Is your boom at the original height or have you raised it a bit?  It looks like it's higher than mine.
Matthieu Girard
1990 Mk1.5  #1102
Sailing in the Chaleur Bay, Eastern Canada

KWKloeber

Paul

As I said, "yes."
No pics.

I simply moved up the gooseneck bracket (it mounts differently than yours.)   
If it gives you enough lift maybe use the top holes as the new bottom holes?

My boom had leeway as well and I shortened it a tad to help keep it from hitting on the angled-down connecting awning.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Holger Dieske

@Matthieu: the boom is about 30 centimeter higher and 1 Meter longer.

C34 "RUNAWAY" Mark 1.5 - 1992 WK - Hull Nr. 1219 - Yanmar3GM30F - Flag: German - Boat stay in Mediterranean Sea.

Paulus

Holger,
How were you able to raise it 11" and still use the slot to get the main on the mast.   A pic would be helpful.

Thanks,
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

waughoo

Usually that is fixed by making a new slot.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Holger Dieske

I don't really understand the question. I'll take a photo where the tree goes to the mast.
But now everything is packed up in the laszybag and I'm at anchor in the south of the Pelopponese in a thunderstorm and rain.