Impeller replacement on new Sherwood WP

Previous topic - Next topic

johnkountz

I recently purchased an '89 C34 #936. The PO replaced the water pump with a Sherwood water pump that is not the pump shown in the Universal Owners manual.

Here is a picture

It looks like I have to remove the WP from the engine to replace the impeller. Has anyone else seen this Sherwood water pump?

BTW - Admiral is mailing the dues today.

C34 #936 - Tranquility

jentine

Remove the three bolts (their ends can be seen in the photo), pull the housing forward and replace the impeller.
Jim Kane

Mike Smith

Hello all -

When I change impellers, I've always been very careful to orient the new raw water impeller vanes "like they were", but reading an article today on changing impellers, I saw this quaote:

"It doesn't really matter which way you bend the vanes; they will arrange themselves on the first revolution of the pump."

What do ya'll think?

Mike

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer WCX8545
www.mikejansmith.com

Stu Jackson

John

Welcome aboard.  Just noticed your farewell note on the C25/250 mb.

Enjoy.

Stu

PS  I've seen a product that consists of a cover plate with thumb screws that might be useful for your situation.  I haven't been able to find it yet, but if you look in the back section of the more recent sailboat magazines, the glossies, you may be able to find it.  If I do, I'll let you know.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike Smith

Stu et al,

The product is called SpeedSeal from the UK at around $60 US.  Call them and have your pump type and serial number ready. Be sure to order extra thumbscrews and extra o-rings. Best thing since sliced bread, I thought everybody had these things. Here is the link:
Speed Seal

Mike

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer WCX8545
www.mikejansmith.com

Stu Jackson

John

Here's another old mb post on this topic.

http://c34.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=329609511&f=829605811&m=212601911&inc=-1

And another:

http://c34.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=329609511&f=829605811&m=601601911&inc=-1

Stu

[This message was edited by Stu Jackson #224 1986 "Aquavite" on November 06, 2003 at 03:17 PM.]
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

natty b

All the info is good. It is a good idea to look for the "vanes" that broke off. The place I look first is in the hoses(2) that attach to the water pump. The pieces are usually in the 90 degree bend. A needle nose works well. You may have to remove the hoses. I replace my impeller every other year, whether it needs it or not. Good Luck
Natty B, #412, 1987