Plumbing questions

Previous topic - Next topic

melp64

As I am working my way thru this boat I will never be able to drink a glass of water from this system as it has to be the nastiest I have ever seen. Every line seems like it is a garden hose or some kind of a plastic water line. I have a garden hose that runs from the anchor locker under the v berth thru the hanging closet all the way to all the lines under the galley sink. I attached some pictures of below the galley sink and the garden hose running thru the hanging closet. Can anyone tell me what the black plastic things are in the first picture, there is several of them in the galley sink area. The second picture shows a clear plastic filter?? that is all cracked which I have no idea what it is for. The third picture shows some shut off valves (white) the pressure pump and a foot pump I think operates the icebox. The fourth picture shows the garden hose running thru the hanging locker.Any information would be appreciated. Also how does the sink drain it looks like it is directly hooked up to a thru hull.
Dan
1987 catalina 34, universal diesel, lots of work to do

melp64

I did look at all the articles on plumbing ahead of posting the questions. none of them really had specifics I was looking for. I did like the idea of relocating the water heater but didnt see any of them that gave a location.
Dan

scgunner

melp64,

Does anyone drink for the faucet these days? The garden hoses as you call them are marine grade water lines (but 30+ year old lines). The hose from the anchor locker sounds like a PO thing, no idea why you'd want to drain the anchor locker into the boat especially since it's already self draining. The black plastic things are check valves. The filter under the sink is actually a strainer for the fresh water supply. It doesn't filter the water but it does get the big chunks. The two white shut off valves control the water supply fore and aft. The foot pump drains the refrigerator into the sink drain plumbing. Yes, the sink drains to a thru hull.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Jim Hardesty

QuoteDoes anyone drink for the faucet these days?
I do and I drink the water from the water tanks in Shamrock.  Yes, I'm careful where I refill the tank, shock it in the spring and use it.  I'm not Captain Bly about it, do carry bottled water for guests if they want it.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

waughoo

I drink my water tank water.  Haven't shocked the system either, but did flush it prior to making use of it upon buying the boat.  It tastes pretty good to me without any rubber hose taste.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

melp64

Does Pex pipe meet marine grade standards? I was planning on rerunning all the waterlines in pex. Except the ones coming from the engine. The line coming from the anchor locker is so you can hook up a hose and spray off the anchor. I like the idea of being able to do that I'm just wondering if there was a reason why they ran the hose in the middle of the closet, why not down at the bottom were no one will see it.
Dan

Ron Hill

Dan : Pex hose meats all of the standards infact the newer MKII C34 are plumbed with it for all of the potable water lines!!.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: melp64 on August 14, 2023, 10:21:46 AM

I was planning on rerunning all the waterlines in pex. Except the ones coming from the engine.

Dan potable water line lines do not "come from the engine."  Cam you clarify what you are referring to replacing?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Ken : I believe that Dan is referring to the POTABLE water lines!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Dan—I believe the anchor locker hose you say is "running in the middle of a closet" is a previous owner's addition—not standard.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jon W

They probably ran it thru the locker because there's no limber hole under the floor connecting the v-berth to the salon/main cabin on a 1987.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

melp64

I am still a ways away from starting the waterlines but as I have been working on the boat its awesome to be able to ask question ahead of time to start working on a plan. You guys are awesome and I think its because you own the same boat (maybe not the year). A question on the bilge pump, I was able to get all the water out of the bilge and found two bilge pumps one that was not hooked and one that was. The bilge that was hooked up had a small hose on it maybe 3' long and was stuck inside a white flex hose. I don't know if that is the way it is supposed to be hooked up doesn't seem like it. Does anyone see a problem if I ran the hose going thru the hanging locker in the bottom of the hanging locker? I'll patch the holes and repaint, I'm pretty proud of those lockers when I started they were black and nasty inside.
Dan

KWKloeber

Quote from: Ron Hill on August 14, 2023, 02:33:23 PM
Ken : I believe that Dan is referring to the POTABLE water lines!!

A thought

Mon ami, you may not have read my post. 

I said POTABLE.  But he spoke of water lines COMING FROM THE ENGINE.
Is he confusing COOLANT lines with WATER lines?   I don't know but it warrants the question (perhaps he's a confused newbie boat owner with little knowledge of what hoses are for what and would benefit from a primer  on water and engine systems.)
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jon W

You can lower it, but be careful you don't drill through the hull which is the back of the locker.

The manual bilge pump uses a 1.5" white corrugated hose. Is your bilge pump attached to it, or a different white hose? A photo of the bilge pump's and hose's would help give better answers.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

melp64

The smaller hose off the bilge pump was just slid inside the white corrugated hose. It didn't seem like it was a very good way to attach it. Isn't there water hoses coming off the engine going to the water heater? Those are the hoses I am referring to but as someone stated I am new to this big of a boat with all the different systems. Thanks Jon I am going to rerun that hose to the bottom of the closet that way when you open the door you won't see a garden hose running through it. I may put a piece of teak in the bottom to cover it up.
Dan