Hanging dinghy from rear davits

Previous topic - Next topic

Porchhound

I tried the Zodiac sites with no response. My 2014 Zodiac Zoom (10ft w/outboard) has two plugs I can remove on the transom for a suspension eye, but it is an inflatable hull with drop-in aluminum floor, so no place there as an attachment option. Anyone have a similar setup, and what was your solution?
If human intelligence is insufficient, why think something artificial modeled after it would be better?

Breakin Away

My off-brand dinghy with inflatable floor (about 90 lb empty weight) has stainless lifting rings glued to the insides of the side tubes, as well as a stainless lifting handle+ring glued to the outside on the bow. I created a three-way harness that connects all three to a single lifting point for the forward area, and an additional two-way harness that connects the lifting eyes on the inside of the transom (which has a 28 lb 2.5 hp Suzuki motor). The weight is pretty well distributed this way.

My davits are similar to yours and have a 150 lb weight limit for each davit. Make sure you are not exceeding the limit for your davits.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Porchhound

Thanks, I'm going to look into those glue-on rings for the bow. My dinghy is inflatable with a 5hp Honda, so I'm safely under the weight limit of my davits. Did you install the rings or were they already there?
If human intelligence is insufficient, why think something artificial modeled after it would be better?

Breakin Away

Quote from: Porchhound on August 02, 2023, 12:03:22 PM
Thanks, I'm going to look into those glue-on rings for the bow. My dinghy is inflatable with a 5hp Honda, so I'm safely under the weight limit of my davits. Did you install the rings or were they already there?
All the rings came with the boat. If you add them yourself, research adhesives very carefully. It must be done properly or you will have a serious failure. You need to be sure you have the right stuff for your material (Hypalon or PVC) and prep the surface properly.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Ron Hill

Porch : You are probably best to make yourself a dink "bow bridle".

Take some inch / 1 1/2 inch wide nylon webbing and go thru the towing eyes.  That way the weight is on the nylon strap that goes under the tubes and floor.  You are less apt to ever pull out a glued on "D" ring!!   :thumb:

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Porchhound