head countertop teak trim

Previous topic - Next topic

mdidomenico

has anyone had to replace the teak trim around the countertop in the head?  i replaced the counter top all around with new plywood and formica.  looks like great, but the old teak trim doesn't line up exactly.  the apron part of the trim seems to be a little taller then those i could find around on the web from seateak/whitecap.  unfortunately i forgot to measure the overhang before i left the boat, but they're definitely taller then the 7/8" as shown from seateak/whitecap.  i sent a message to catalina, was wondering if anyone else has a source/solution

for those wondering why i didn't just trace the old countertop, apparently when catalina cut my countertop they cut it from a master template (maybe) rather then the actual hull, which is what i traced.  there was a ~1" difference in dimensions specifically above the tp cabinet.  i didn't notice this until i tried to fit the trim.  i couldn't just trace my old countertop, leaks rotted the plywood into oblivion (literally).
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

Noah

Just order teak stock (or even mahogany) and mill it. Just simple miters, a rabbit on the back, and a round-over chamfer on top.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

I've posted before that H&L Woodwork supplied all the woodwork to CTY. When they went out of biz the lead carpenter Cesar Pacheco started his own biz and has most if not all of the CTY patterns/trim and can supply custom stuff.
Search the message archives - it will have his contact info.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

mdidomenico

noah, remodel looks good.  thanks for the suggestion, i could go down that road but i don't have all the tools to do it currently.  debating on whether i want to buy them or not.  if i can't find anything i'll probably do it.  god knows i have plenty of other wood work around the boat to fix up

ken, thanks i'll reach out to him and see if can get a couple planks
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

Noah

Not a remodel on the countertop or trim, that is original. Except I added small fiddle across top to divert sink water splash. That tip learned here years ago. I would suggest you search "3-inch teak battens" on the general web and will find them. Even Whitecap makes them. You could do all yourself with two tools; Miter-saw, and a router. Might search web for "Maker Spaces" in your area to find a shop you can rent time in.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Mdid : I believe that most of us have had similar problems with the head countertop. To cover your 1" short why not try a piece of teak quarter round and caulk it in !

A thought

Ron, Apache #788