Engine Fuel Filter

Previous topic - Next topic

rwilkinsii

I am about to change my Fuel filter on the engine this weekend and would like to know what precautions i should take. After i get it changed I am taking the family out for a weekend get-away and the wife has only been on the boat twice since we bought it 3 months ago, so i want to make sure nothing goes wrong . any help would be great....

Thanks

Rich Wilkins
Watergate Marina
Houston Tx
86 c34
S/V Lil' Tiger
rwilkinsii@yahoo.com
Geaux Tigers!!

Mike Smith

Rich -

If you change the fuel filter you may have to bleed air out of the fuel system. If you haven't done this before, or if there is not imminent reason for doing so, it might be better to do it after your weekend trip. You don't want your engine dying just as you leave the dock because of an air bubble and spending the rest of the day with your mechanic($$$) on board. I always do things like this well in advance of any scheduled events in case I screw it up.

Been There,
Mike

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer WCX8545
www.mikejansmith.com

rwilkinsii

Good idea. How would i bleed the fuel system?

Rich Wilkins
Watergate Marina
Houston Tx
86 c34
S/V Lil' Tiger
rwilkinsii@yahoo.com
Geaux Tigers!!

Stu Jackson

Bleeding Fuel System

Rich

How to bleed????????

First, you ask the question, just like you did.

Second, you get me or some other wiseacre on this mb to say: "Use the FIND and SEARCH features of this great website.

Third, you try here, and start reading:

http://c34.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=srch&s=329609511&findw=bleeding

The reason Mike says to wait is that sometimes, only sometimes, a little burp of air stays in the system and screws up the running of the engine after it gets going.

If you are careful, once you find and loosen find the bolt on top of the engine fuel filter housing, make sure the air is out of there, close it tight, and then open the bleed knob on the injector lines, AND the engine runs, then you should be fine.  I didn't get any fuel out of the knob after the bolt on the pump was cleared, but just make sure you do open it for a while.

The trick is to have the engine running for long enough to be SURE all the air is out.

If you do it, before you leave on your trip, just go motor around for about ten minutes.  If it's fine then, it'll be fine for the trip.

Bleeding is the big "hazard" for all mariners, but once you do it the first time, it's a lark.

It's a bit tricky getting the engine mounted fuel filter off and back on, but it's doable.  Make sure you have the right filter wrench, the filter is kinda smallish.

BTW, use the electric fuel pump to refill.  I've found it not necessary to try to refill the engine mounted filter with clean fuel  before I install it.  It'll only leak all over if you're not careful.

Happy reading, and if you follow the instructions, shouldn't be any problem at all.

If you don't have this picture, you should:

http://www.marinedieseldirect.com/universal/200157/universal-owners-manual-m25-specifications.html

It shows you where the bleed points are.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

rwilkinsii

Hey Guy's Thanks for the great response.. I think i will just wait and do it the following weekend. I will play it safe on this one..

Rich Wilkins
Watergate Marina
Houston Tx
86 c34
S/V Lil' Tiger
rwilkinsii@yahoo.com
Geaux Tigers!!