chainplate source?

Previous topic - Next topic

rmjohns

Anyone bought Chainplates from Catalina Direct lately?  Are they fairly decent quality?  I notice on the Catalina Yacht site they state they only have parts for current production models, not sure if that is a new policy?

Anywhere else that might sell these chainplates?

I pulled one of my chainplates to seal a leak I was having and noticed a little crevice corrosion at the top of where the old sealant was. It doesn't look horrible, but enough to grab your fingernail if you scrape across it. So I figure it's probably worth replacing.

Thanks
Rob.
Rob

1998 Catalina 34 Mkii 1390 - Miss Allie
New Bern, NC

High Current

Agreed, the corrosion on top doesn't look horrible...but those welds do.
Ben, #1050, 1990 Mk 1.5 std rig / keel

Noah

Garhauer Marine or Catalina Direct. Compare pricing. Same product.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

waughoo

Garhauer would be my recommendation. CD, I believe, has them made for them by Garhauer.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

mdidomenico

i replaced all six of mine through CD a couple of years ago.  the product was nearly identical to the ones i pulled off the boat.  i can't say where CD gets them (likely garhauer) and they're pricey through CD, but they do seem to be the same fit/finish as the originals
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

KWKloeber

If you can't get the replacement it's an easy fix better than new.  Take out the slight crevice w/ a 1/16" blade, weld it, grind fair and polish.  It's stronger than the original.
I bet GhM would do it, or a local stainless shop.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Guys : Go to Garhauer for your replacement chainplate.  That's probably where Catalina Direct gets theirs's that they resell to you!!?!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

rmjohns

Thanks for the feedback guys. I talked to Garhauer and ordered the set through them. They were slightly cheaper than Catalina Direct.

Rob.
Rob

1998 Catalina 34 Mkii 1390 - Miss Allie
New Bern, NC