Shower won't drain

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

pby : Look at my Mainsheet tech note article on adding a strainer in that drain line so it catches all the "junk" that causes the one way (anti-back flow) valve from getting clogged!!   

Trace your drain line from the pump motor and just before the pump will be that back flow prevention valve.  I just added a small strainer and replaced that valve.  That new valve ended the back flow problems and the new strainer prevented that valve from getting clogged.  You'll be surprised how much junk that strainer catches!!

I see you have a MK II so the pump/strainer is under the galley sink!!  I'll guess that there is a one way valve somewhere? in that drain system.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

pbyrne

Quote from: Ron Hill on June 15, 2023, 01:05:36 PM
pby : Look at my Mainsheet tech note article on adding a strainer in that drain line so it catches all the "junk" that causes the one way (anti-back flow) valve from getting clogged!!   

Trace your drain line from the pump motor and just before the pump will be that back flow prevention valve.  I just added a small strainer and replaced that valve.  That new valve ended the back flow problems and the new strainer prevented that valve from getting clogged.  You'll be surprised how much junk that strainer catches!!

Read the article!!!  A few thoughts

Is that for a MKII?  I ask as my strainer is under the sink, and you're right it catches all sorts of stuff.  I don't think I noticed a valve though...
2000 Catalina 34 MK II #1534

Jim Hardesty

QuoteIs that for a MKII?  I ask as my strainer is under the sink, and you're right it catches all sorts of stuff.  I don't think I noticed a valve though...

On Shamrock a 2001 MKll there's a couple of valves leading to that strainer/pump.  One drains the shower the other drains the refrigerator box.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

pbyrne

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on June 15, 2023, 02:31:53 PM
QuoteIs that for a MKII?  I ask as my strainer is under the sink, and you're right it catches all sorts of stuff.  I don't think I noticed a valve though...

On Shamrock a 2001 MKll there's a couple of valves leading to that strainer/pump.  One drains the shower the other drains the refrigerator box.
Jim

Same here. 
2000 Catalina 34 MK II #1534

Ron Hill

pby : Refer to your MK II Owners Manual and you will find a page marked PLUMBING PLAN (not numbered in my copy). 
It shows that the drain line from the shower drain comes in (under the galley sink) from the aft and the fridge drain come in from the bow side and they join into a FILTER just before the sump pump!!!   

You may or my not have a separate back flow valve?  If not that function may be incorporated in the filter and /or the pump??/

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

The MK1s have/had a foot pump in the galley to pump fridge drain. Since I have refrigeration and don't use block ice for cooling, I removed my pump and plugged the drain hole in the fridge. I just sponge out the little water I get in tge bottom after defrosting.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Pete G

Below is what I found under the head sink.  I used a multimeter on the shower bilge switch and it doesn't appear to be getting a current through the lines.  I turned on the power to everything, and flipping the switch didn't turn it on.  The unconnected hose connects to the toilet.  Pumping the toilet doesn't draw in water, so I may have found 2 problems.  Adding a t-valve, tracing the electrical issue. 
Pete G
"Maris Otter"
1987 C34T #371
Wildwood YC
Cleveland, OH

mark_53

I had to turn the bilge pump on at the panel before the head shower switch.  Both needed to be on to operate.

robbjd

I don't see a handle on the through hull. If you don't have a valve to close this through hull you have a few things to worry about.
S/V Mystic
1997, C34 MKII, STD rig, Fin keel
Universal M35-AC
Hull #1344
Sarnia, ON, Canada

Ron Hill

Guys : The head shower pump switch SHOULD be wired into the water pressure pump circuit!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Pete G

Quote from: robbjd on June 17, 2023, 06:49:02 AM
I don't see a handle on the through hull. If you don't have a valve to close this through hull you have a few things to worry about.

It's there, just doesn't show in the photo.
Pete G
"Maris Otter"
1987 C34T #371
Wildwood YC
Cleveland, OH

Roland Gendreau

Did you test the shower sump pump switch?   Mine failed a few years ago.
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

KWKloeber

Quote from: Pete G on June 16, 2023, 06:58:52 PM

Below is what I found under the head sink. 

That photo appears to be a disaster waiting to happen. 
Is that a Schedule 40 PVC tee (PVC is not allowed below waterline)???   
And is that an NPT-thread Tee screwed onto an NPS-thread thru hull??  That's a HUGE dangerous no-no.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Pete G

I have the through hull closed both because of the PVC and the toilet not being connected.  It's at the top of the maintenance list, believe me.
Pete G
"Maris Otter"
1987 C34T #371
Wildwood YC
Cleveland, OH

robertr0816

I Just learned that my electric shower drain pump doesnt work. Mines is nice and hidden under the Head sink. It is an original giant diaphragm and all.
What pump would be a good replacement? I am guessing it would need to be beefy since is pumping into that fresh water thru hole.
Also notice that that the sink is piped directly to a thru hole, has a ball valve, but that doesnt seem right. am i missing something?
MK1 1988
Luna llena 1988 C34#777 Long island Sound