C34 Opinions

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

I currently own a C30 and I am concidering moving up to a C34 MK2. I would love feedback on how the boat handles heavier wind and seas and how the boat handles in larger following seas.  I will define heavier wind as 30 to 40 kts. and seas of at least 8 to 10 ft. I would like to know if I should feel comfortable sailing the C34 from santa barbara to the sea of cortez.  Any info. would be greatly appreciated.
Mike

Admin

Mike

The C34 (short rig, fin keel) is a great heavy weather boat.  It is popular here on San Francisco Bay where 30-knot winds are not uncommon.  I can't speak to 10 foot seas from personal experience, but others have sailed their C34 on many ocean voyages (see   voyages on the c34 website.

Dave Smith
webmaster@c34.org
Bear Territory #1421

c34member

On our maiden trip across Lake Ontario we encountered nine foot waves and 40 knot winds, with the mast tied down to the deck.  The boat handled well and motored into and across the waves very well (30Hp M-35B).  We were taking water over the dodger and bimini.  Very exciting.  I do not doubt a small headsail and reefed main would have made the trip more enjoyable.  We ended up calling for a place to duck into and a marina gave us a heading.  The woman was watching us enter the breakwaters at Selkirk Light and told us to "gun it" when coming through the 30 ft wide channel.  I told her we were flat out as we surfed down a breaking wave between two stone jetties.  Adrenaline city.

Hull#753

sending you an email at registered address with my coastal CA cruising experiences.

dave davis

I have been in those conditions going south around Point Conception without any trouble, but going north, forget it. Pull in and try it in another day or two. Standard rig and fin keel, and the old 25 HP in the Mod 1, without a true storm jib.
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach