Companionway Glass

Previous topic - Next topic

brad taylor

I have a model yr 2000 c-34. The Companionway top sliding panel is all plexyglass except for the stip of wood on the stern end. The problem - when the sun is shining and the glass heats up it seems to bow a bit in the middle and I can't open it - gets stuck and scratches on the top. I have to put about 50 lbs downward pressure on the middle of the glass and then it will close. When the sun is not shining it works perfectly. Anyone had this same issue? What did you do to solve?

Roc

Brad,
I seem to remember hearing about this and Catalina changed the design on later boats. They now use a fiberglass sliding panel with the clear plexiglass cut out in the middle (haven't actually seen one, but remember hearing about it).  This is to minimize the warping of the clear plexiglass.  I too have a 2000 model, but don't have that problem.  Maybe it's because my dodger shields the sun.  Call Catalina,they should send you the newly designed companionway panel.

Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

c34member

Yes, my 2000 (#1515) has a solid white FG hatch with a  center inset plexi window that's about a foot on each side.  I agree that a dodger would help to shade yours.  It does slide very well so far.

Complain to your broker about the sticking and the scraping.  You might get somewhere.  If you don't get satisfaction there, send a polite e-mail to Frank@catalinayachts.com (Frank Butler, Pres.) asking if he had any suggestions (mention you have heard about the new style of hatch).  

Remember, you catch more files with honey . . .

Bill

I had the same problem with my hatch.  I have a year 2000 hull number 1484.  It has a hatch like yours - no fiberglass - all plastic.  Mine would bow in the sun and it to was getting scrached.  I talked to the broker that sold me the boat and he removed the sea hood (I think that is the right term) and used a grinder to grind the edge of the hood that was scratching the hatch.  This has solved the problem.  The hatch still bows in the sun but know it does not rub.  I used a plastic polish to remove the scratches.  It looks new again.