Canada to the US in Great Lakes License or Registration needed?

Previous topic - Next topic

pbyrne

I'm a bit unsure about what's needed to enter the US from Canada via Lake Ontario or 1000 Islands.  Transport Canada web site says 'To travel abroad and be recognized internationally as a registered vessel' you must Register the vessel.

However, in numerous sites I find a reference to Registration OR Licensing.  Such as here: https://www.great-lakes-sailing.com/canada_us_border.html

The following information must be available when reporting:

Name, Date of Birth & Citizenship of Master (with supporting documentation
Name of Boat
Boat Registration or Licence Number
U.S. Decal Number (if 30 feet or longer)
Name, Date of Birth, Citizenship of all passengers with supporting documentation
Home port
Current location

Anyone have any guidance on this?  Maybe there is an understanding in North America that Registered vessels are not required?
2000 Catalina 34 MK II #1534

robbjd

If you have NEXUS cards all you require is a US CBP decal. https://dtops.cbp.dhs.gov/main/home.htm#%20 . Many of the marinas on the Great Lakes have NEXUS kiosks where you swipe in and you're done. All of the vessel information that you listed will be on file when you purchase a decal for $32.62 USD.
S/V Mystic
1997, C34 MKII, STD rig, Fin keel
Universal M35-AC
Hull #1344
Sarnia, ON, Canada

pbyrne

Quote from: robbjd on May 18, 2023, 03:45:01 AM
If you have NEXUS cards all you require is a US CBP decal. https://dtops.cbp.dhs.gov/main/home.htm#%20 . Many of the marinas on the Great Lakes have NEXUS kiosks where you swipe in and you're done.

So licensing is all that is required?  Odd that TC says you need to Register the vessel for international travel outside of Canada, which it definitely is.

Good to know about NEXUS, but I don't have it.

Jim Hardesty

I cross into Canada often by boat.  Both the US and Canada have been changing the process almost every year.  It was very easy last year and didn't need NEXUS card. Need to register put both apts on your phone and then check in by phone.  Have paper and pen ready to write number they will give you. Very easy both ways. 
https://www.cbp.gov/
https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/services/splash-arrivecan.html
I think that all your questions and more will be answered by registering.  I believe the Customs Sticker is only for US citizens reentering US.  Don't think Canada has one.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

Quote from: pbyrne on May 17, 2023, 08:54:30 PM
I'm a bit unsure about what's needed to enter the US from Canada via Lake Ontario or 1000 Islands.  Transport Canada web site says 'To travel abroad and be recognized internationally as a registered vessel' you must Register the vessel.

Anyone have any guidance on this?  Maybe there is an understanding in North America that Registered vessels are not required?

I think you just mis-read the first part.

Either registered OR licensed works just fine.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

It is not a MUST, it is AN IF.

To travel abroad and [if you want her to] be recognized internationally as a registered vessel

The US does not require CDN pleasure vessels to be registered (we call it Documented.)
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

pbyrne

Quote from: KWKloeber on May 23, 2023, 12:04:28 AM
It is not a MUST, it is AN IF.

To travel abroad and [if you want her to] be recognized internationally as a registered vessel

The US does not require CDN pleasure vessels to be registered (we call it Documented.)

Yeah I get it.  For what it's worth, I called TC PCL and Registration, and the both said the same thing.  If you leave Canadian waters you MUST register the vessel.  That's 2 departments...

Stu Jackson

Quote from: pbyrne on May 30, 2023, 08:53:00 PM

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If you leave Canadian waters you MUST register the vessel.  That's 2 departments...

That is simply NOT TRUE.

My boat is licensed in British Columbia and I visit the American San Juan islands with no problems.

A Canadian vessel needs to be either licensed (by a province) of registered (Federal) to operate in Canada.

Either a licensed or registered Canadian vessel can visit the US legally.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

pbyrne

Quote from: Stu Jackson on May 31, 2023, 10:16:43 AM
Quote from: pbyrne on May 30, 2023, 08:53:00 PM

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If you leave Canadian waters you MUST register the vessel.  That's 2 departments...

That is simply NOT TRUE.

My boat is licensed in British Columbia and I visit the American San Juan islands with no problems.

A Canadian vessel needs to be either licensed (by a province) of registered (Federal) to operate in Canada.

Either a licensed or registered Canadian vessel can visit the US legally.

I believe you.  However, TC doesn't say that when you call them.  In fact the web site asks you if you're travelling outside of Canada, and points you to Registration.  No exceptions, and no information that it's not required for Can/USA.

See attached image. Now, if you didn't know what we know, you'd likely read 'To travel abroad and be recognized internationally as a registered vessel' and select 'yes'.   I was unsure based upon what I read elsewhere and called them.  I specifically asked them if it was required to register the vessel to visit the US from Canada, and told them I'm on Lake Ontario only, not going off shore, or anything where you'd enter international waters and enter the US.

They emphatically answered... register the vessel.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: pbyrne on May 31, 2023, 12:14:22 PM

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

I was unsure based upon what I read elsewhere and called them.  I specifically asked them if it was required to register the vessel to visit the US from Canada, and told them I'm on Lake Ontario only, not going off shore, or anything where you'd enter international waters and enter the US.

So call them back and ask "I am a legally licensed vessel not registered.  Can I cross Lake Ontario to the US and return as a licensed vessel in the province of Ontario?"

Look, pb, you're talking to Federal guys who "do" registration.  Like the "English" quandary of your original post, it's all semantics.

pbyrne

Quote from: Stu Jackson on June 01, 2023, 09:16:19 AM
Quote from: pbyrne on May 31, 2023, 12:14:22 PM

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

I was unsure based upon what I read elsewhere and called them.  I specifically asked them if it was required to register the vessel to visit the US from Canada, and told them I'm on Lake Ontario only, not going off shore, or anything where you'd enter international waters and enter the US.

So call them back and ask "I am a legally licensed vessel not registered.  Can I cross Lake Ontario to the US and return as a licensed vessel in the province of Ontario?"

Look, pb, you're talking to Federal guys who "do" registration.  Like the "English" quandary of your original post, it's all semantics.

Yeah, I know.  It does come down to the question. Still, there is no mention of being able to enter the US that I've found other than non-government sites.

robbjd

PB, to clarify my previous post. If you travel to the US often by boat, plane, train or car NEXUS does make entry into the US much easier. Since our boats are over 30 feet we do need a crossing fee sticker available on the DTOPS website. If you are entering the US more than once per year by boat the $32.62 USD sticker allows unlimited entries. If you don't have a sticker you can be charged $32.62 each time you enter the US. The process is simple and I received this seasons sticker within two weeks of ordering. If your boat is licensed/registered in Ontario you will have no problems with US Customs. My boat's number is called a Coast Guard Number and a Registration number on my decal receipt. My son in law works for Canada Customs and they are in a situation where due to retirement, and attrition you will most likely deal with someone fresh out of training who really doesn't understand all of the rules and regs. Download ArriveCan, & CBP ROAM apps. on your phone and you will have no issues entering the US, and returning to Canada.
S/V Mystic
1997, C34 MKII, STD rig, Fin keel
Universal M35-AC
Hull #1344
Sarnia, ON, Canada