2023 Catalina Rendezvous at Telegraph Harbour Marina - July 7-9 - Canada

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

2023 Catalina Rendezvous at Telegraph Harbour Marina - July 7-9

Bruce Grayson and I would like to formally invite you to the Summer 2023 Catalina Rendezvous at Telegraph Harbour Marina on Thetis Island, July 7-9th. .

Here's the details of this year's rendezvous:

1. Book your moorage online:  https://www.telegraphharbour.com/reservations#reserve-today  Make sure you include that it is for the Catalina rendezvous in the space provided.  Note that online booking is preferred.  They will accept calls too.  Moorage is $1.97 per foot and power is $9.79 per day.

2.  Email me  (Rob Johnson (sailorguyrob@gmail.com) and let me know you have reserved and how many people are on your boat - I like to keep track of how many of us are attending.

3. Look for door prizes - places that are happy to get mention of their company for a donation.

Itinerary
FRIDAY
"Meet and Greet" registration:  We will meet at the Waterside Deck (next to the top of the dock).  Bring a potluck appy and a bottle of BC wine or a BC craft beer to share. I will supply tasting glasses.  The idea is to bring a bottle from where you are from that you don't think others will have tried.  For example, I will probably bring a bottle from Deep Cove Brewery. Or you can bring any bottle you think is interesting.

SATURDAY
Potluck breakfast.  Bring Something to share for breakfast.  This is also at the Waterside deck. Mike and Grace "Early Dawn" have volunteered to set up coffee for us in the Early Dawn. (Pun intended.) 

Tech Talks:  On the lawn.  Time to be confirmed. Meredith Anderson has volunteered to present about diesel engines.  Thanks Bruce for getting Meredith to join us!

Dinghy races:  Time to be confirmed.  Dress like a pirate and row like crazy! (I suggest you bring a water gun!)  Looking for volunteers - someone to start the race, cheerleaders, etc.

Telegraph harbour pub crawl:  Walk/row/swim over to Thetis Marina Pub to buy yourself and your favourite rendezvous organizers a pint!

Potluck dinner:  Bring your own hunk of beef and a share item (salad or dessert).  Apologies to the vegetarians in the group.  Vegetarians - bring your favourite hunk of beef-tasting tofu!  We have a big BBQ at the pavilion. Looking for volunteers to help barbeque.

SUNDAY
We say goodbye.  Hopefully we will have made some good friends and we can meet up in all our various cruising locations.  Check out time is noon.

Gift Exchange / Door Prizes

Bring a gift for the gift exchange (optional):   If you want a gift you need to bring a gift.  The value is around $20 and it should come wrapped or in a gift bag.  Barry and Val on ??? will take your prize and give you a ticket.  (I can't remember the name of the boat - It is the big, pretty Catalina that is completely flawless and has been washed 12 times in the last two days!)  The drawing is at the Saturday dinner. It is very fun but if you don't want to participate that is ok and nobody will know anyways.

We will also have door prizes (separate from the gift exchange.)  If you know of any companies that would like to donate a door prize or two to our group, please collect it and bring it to the event. We have had great support from companies like Sequel Solar, Telegraph Harbour Marina, and several others.  I'm waiting for Catalina to donate a new 47 foot boat for our draw but I don't think that is going to happen!

Door Prizes and Gift Exchange will take place during Saturday's Dinner

COST
$30 per boat to pay for the pavilion rental, BBQ rental, prizes and incidentals.  I will collect on the Friday at the meet and greet.  Note that we don't have a sponsor.  It would be nice if we could get a sponsor.  If we do, we can reduce the $30 fee.  Does anyone have any ideas for sponsors?

We are going to need some help and are looking for volunteers for the weekend's events. 

Volunteer are needed for:
·        Saturday morning coffee setup.  Grace and Mike "Early Dawn" have volunteered already - thanks!
·        Tech talks. Meredith Anderson. Anyone else have anything to share?
·        Dinghy races – start/stop horn and record the winner.
·        BBQ'rs
·        Gift exchange – collect gifts and give ticket out.  Barry and Val on the big pretty Catalina have volunteered already.  No size limit on gifts.  They have way too much square footage on that boat - they will store it in their aft cabin.  Or their port forward cabin.  Or in the engine room.  They could have a stowaway onboard for a week without them knowing anyone else is onboard!

Please let me know if I forgot anything!  I am really looking forward to seeing you all there!

Cheers!
Rob and Sheri Johnson
Morning Wings

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."