Upgrading to quadruple clutches

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthieu G

Hi,

I want to install two quadruple rope clutches.
Do you have any inspiration on how I could elegantly build or widen the base to install those larger clutches ?

Thank you
Matthieu Girard
1990 Mk1.5  #1102
Sailing in the Chaleur Bay, Eastern Canada

Gregory M

I used 1/2" aluminum polished,
Gregory, "Luna Rossa", #1063, 1990, T.Rig Mk 1.5, fin keel. Universal M 35,  Rocna 15,
Penetanguishene ON.

Matthieu G

That looks nice and clean.
So on this photo the aluminum plate extend further the original base on de right side ?

I might go this way.

Matthieu Girard
1990 Mk1.5  #1102

Gregory M

Sorry, that was my closest photo and since I have done this about six years ago,
I don't recall that detail, however, going to boat on Monday and can take few pictures then.
Gregory, "Luna Rossa", #1063, 1990, T.Rig Mk 1.5, fin keel. Universal M 35,  Rocna 15,
Penetanguishene ON.

Matthieu G

Quote from: Gregory M on April 08, 2023, 08:05:18 PM
Sorry, that was my closest photo and since I have done this about six years ago,
I don't recall that detail, however, going to boat on Monday and can take few pictures then.

Ok keep me posted !

Thanks 

Matthieu Girard
1990 Mk1.5  #1102

Matthieu G

Hi Gregory,

I'm about to have two plates made like you for my clutches.
To properly secure these plates, do you know if there is a wooden or metal anchor underneath?

According to the opinion of the welder who will make the plates for me, we will screw the clutches on the plate and then the plate on the base of the boat.

Matt

Matthieu Girard
1990 Mk1.5  #1102

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Gregory M

Your welder is correct. Position plates in desired location, tape it, position clutches, you have to play for best angles, mark clutches holes location, see where you can position plates mounting holes.
I have used four, 5/16 SS flat head bolts, countersink them flush with plates, under clutches, so they are not visible. If memory serves me well, I was able to use two or three existing holes, just enlarged them, cause they were 1/4" and slightly corroded, hence 5/16. Yes, aluminum plate inside, not sure of size thou... 1/4" for sure.
Penetanguishene ON.

Matthieu G

Just finished installing the new ss plates and the clutches. Satisfied ! Thanks again Gregory and Noah for your advices !
Matthieu Girard
1990 Mk1.5  #1102

Noah

:clap very nice!
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

waughoo

Egg-cellent!!  My curiosity has been piqued.  I might have to look into this upgrade.  I like how you managed to keep the clutch and plate from overlapping the sea hood rails.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte