Trying to identify Oberdorfer raw water pump

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

Jon

Out of an abundance of curiosity I asked my contact at

Ken,

The entire product line was changed from gasket sealed to O-ring sealed in the late 2000's.  The change was accomplished over a span of years, a definitive date for each model conversion cannot be provided.

So it's odd seeing that N202M is on a 1998.  I would have needed to be replaced at some point, but it sure looks like an original.

I erred in an earlier post -- in 2005 I installed an N202M, not the gasket pump.  Duh!!  :oops: :oops: :oops:

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Guys : Most of the original Oberdoffer pumps put on the M25XP engines at the factory that I've seen have the Oberfoffer name in the face plate casting!!

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

Jon W

Ken, it's a 3/8" npt. With Oberdorfer cast into the cover like Ron described, maybe it is the original from 1987?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Jon W on September 19, 2023, 12:51:27 PM
Ken, it's a 3/8" npt. With Oberdorfer cast into the cover like Ron described, maybe it is the original from 1987?

The faceplates with Oberdorfer cast onto the covers is the older very THICK faceplate.  I have one.  The newer faceplates are thinner material and are designed to be reversible.  I found out last year that the even newer thin faceplates have holes that are spaced differently than the older pumps and just different enough that they do not work on the older pumps.  I had to have my old faceplate (inside, of course) refaced at a machine shop.  I wrote a tech note about it (not online yet) within the past year, check your magazine hard copies or look at mainsheet.net with the password key noted in the 101 Topics.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

robertr0816

So looked at some bags my wife cleared from the boat and found a Orberdorfer pump and some old alternator. Looks like these were original and then upgraded to the n202m-16. Mystery solved.

Are these old pumps worth salvaging? Can I just purchase a cover with o ring.
Luna llena 1988 C34#777 Long island Sound

Jon W

Same pump I posted a photo of earlier in this thread. I think it's what you're comfortable with. Brand new pumps are $325 and up. A rebuild kit is around $90. Buy from a reputable source not just best price.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Noah

The rebuild kits for "around $90" are good if you don't need to replace the shaft. The need to replace the shaft is rare but could happen. Those that include the shaft are at least $100 more. Also you can't just replace the old style face plate with the new O-ring style. They are not compatible.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Quote from: robertr0816 on September 22, 2023, 06:59:01 AM

Are these old pumps worth salvaging? Can I just purchase a cover with o ring.

Sure a pump is worth salvaging IF the shaft is ok.

There is an aftermarket pump cover available that mods it from a gasket'd into an o-ring'd pump.  See my reply #8 to this thread.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

Ken: My N202M-16s have the O-ring inserted in a groove in the pump's body, not in the cover plate. The cover plate is flat.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

robert : Defiantly worth rebuilding!!  You can use that same face plate (check and sand the inside on a flat surface)   Purchase of make your own PAPER thin gasket!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788