Maxwell VW 800 Windlass

Previous topic - Next topic

PRWagner

We just purchased a 2002 34 Catalina which came with the Maxwell 800 windlass but no anchor rode. We have been considering using 5/16 G43 chain with 5/8 three strand nylon but are unsure if it will work with the chain wheel without jamming. Wondering what other owners with the same windlass are using.

Jim Hardesty

QuoteWe just purchased a 2002 34 Catalina which came with the Maxwell 800 windlass but no anchor rode.

Congratulations! and Welcome.  My manuals are on Shamrock.  I'll check tomorrow.  The manual posted here is for the 500 don't know if it's the same.  I would go with what Maxwell recommends, they may have the manual on their website.  Do you have, like Shamrock, the drum/gypsie?  I very much like mine.  Use the drum for a lot of heavy lifting. 
FWIW Shamrock has 50 feet of chain and 150 feet of 3 strand nylon.
Jim 

Just thought of something.  Do you have up and down switches?  I know some Catalinas were made with only up.  You may consider adding the down switch if you don't already have it.
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

PRW : I'd give Maxwell a call and see if you can't download a manual on your windlass.  After years of having that STIFF 3 strand nylon I went to braided Nylon rode and it's like Night / Day having the flex able braded rode laying nicely in the anchor well.  You might want to rethink buying 3 strand!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

dfloeter

Or go with the 8-plait rope that is easy to splice onto the chain and is also very limp so it lays down well. 
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

Jim Hardesty

Did a little search.   Try this link down at page 37 describes a number cast into the chain wheel and a chart of chain size to fit.

https://maxwellmarine.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/Service-Agent-Reference-Manual-V5.pdf

Hope that helps,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

Jim Hardesty

QuoteMy manuals are on Shamrock.  I'll check tomorrow

Better late than never.  Here are pictures of the chain and rope sizes from my Maxwell manual for my Freedom 800 windless.  Looks like 5/16 chain and 9/16 3 strand nylon is recommended.  I'm not trying to talk you out of 8 plait, but if the reason is more compact storage there's plenty of storage for 200+ feet in the anchor locker of a MKll.  and a couple of gas cans and a second/spare danforth anchor.
Hope it helps.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA